This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.912 / 51°54'43"N
Longitude: -4.7883 / 4°47'18"W
OS Eastings: 208312
OS Northings: 227389
OS Grid: SN083273
Mapcode National: GBR CT.PNY9
Mapcode Global: VH2NK.Y6GM
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1971
Last Amended: 15 October 2004
Source ID: 6078
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a prominent position in the centre of the village green at Maenclochog.
Built-Up Area: Maenclochog
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church, medieval origins but mostly of 1880-1. It was rebuilt with a 'small steeple' c. 1805 for Barrington Price of Temple Druid, said to need a new roof in 1845, and some work was done before 1865. Thoroughly restored 1880-1 by Middleton & Son of Cheltenham for £836, the restoration promoted by Col. J. Owen of Rosebush. According to the newspaper account, it was roofed in Rosebush slate over a nave roof of teak and chancel roof of oak, a vestry was added and the windows were replaced in Bath stone. The font and part of the pulpit were kept from the previous church (font looks later C19 and pulpit has gone). D. Young of Llangolman and E. Davies of Maenclochog were the builders.
A photograph of c. 1906 shows the tower barely higher than the ridge of the nave, with crude triangular opening on S. But it had been raised to present height by the 1920s.
The church contains two important C5 to C6 inscribed stones, brought from Llandeilo Lwydiarth churchyard nearby. They appear to relate to two brothers Andagellus and Coimagnus, a third stone, probably from the same site, was moved from Bwlchyclawdd (Temple Druid) to Cenarth before 1743 is to a son of Andagellus. A most unusual group of stones to one family.
Parish church, rubble stone with imitation slates, and red terracotta crested ridge tiles to main roof. Single roof to nave and chancel, lower S transept and N gabled vestry lower still. Coped shouldered gables. Thin plain rubble W tower with no detail apart from rough single bell openings blocked in brick. Flat parapet with moulded coping stones spaced to give appearance of battlements. Wrought iron support for weathervane. Tower projects slightly from W end and has late C19 pointed W door with cusped head, and renewed door with C19 hinges.
Rest of church has I880 windows, ashlar cusped lancets: 2-light to nave S at left, stepped 3-light to transept S, single light to chancel S and N. Nave N has two 2-lights. E window is 3-light pointed with hoodmould and simple cusped heads to each light. N vestry has Caernarfon arch to E door and single light to N.
Plastered walls, seven-sided rafter roof to nave. W wall has projecting inner side of tower with pointed doorway and earlier C19 double panelled doors. Chamfered pointed heads to nave window reveals. Plastered pointed arch into S transept, which has boarded rafter roof. Caernarfon-arched N doorway to vestry. Later C19 chancel arch with double-chamfer pointed arch and hoodmould, the inner arch carried on moulded corbelled capitals. One step to chancel with tiled floor, 5-sided boarded panelled roof and segmental-pointed head to E window reveal. One step to sanctuary.
Fittings: Octagonal ashlar C19 font with IHS monogramme, moulded underside, marble round shaft and moulded base. Pine pews. Wrought iron and brass altar rail. Oak traceried altar table. Oak traceried reading desk, no pulpit.
Memorials: Oval marble plaque to William Lewis of Bwlchyclawdd (d 1723) and Jenett his wife (d 1721), with good lettering; oval plaque to Henry Bulkeley of Temple Druid (d 1821) with coloured lettering; rectangular plaque to Rev John Foley (d 1832) with similar lettering; engraved brass plaque to Edward Cropper (d 1877) and his son Edward, killed 1900; marble plaque to Ida Walters (d 1895).
Stained glass: E window SS Mary, Joseph and John, c. 1950.
Incised stones: Two incised stones from the churchyard of the ruined church of St Teilo, Llandeilo Llwydiarth. One reads 'Andagell- iacit fili Cavet-', with a later added incised cross, the other 'Coimagni fili Caveti'.
Included for its special interest as the centrepiece of a substantial village green, unusual in the region. The church contains two important C5 to C6 inscribed stones (Scheduled Ancient Monument PE146).
Other nearby listed buildings