History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding range at Kingston Farm to SE of old farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pembroke (Penfro), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6581 / 51°39'29"N

Longitude: -4.9008 / 4°54'2"W

OS Eastings: 199457

OS Northings: 199468

OS Grid: SR994994

Mapcode National: GBR G8.XK8K

Mapcode Global: VH1S7.0LJ7

Entry Name: Outbuilding range at Kingston Farm to SE of old farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 July 1981

Last Amended: 29 July 2005

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6363

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated SE of the house at Kingston Farm some 2km SE of the centre of Pembroke.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Pembroke

Community: Pembroke (Penfro)

Community: Pembroke

Locality: Kingston Hill

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Lamphey

History

Outbuilding with stone vaulted ground floor, possibly medieval, but possibly C16. Kingston was a house of the Meares family in the later C17, but owned by John Campbell Hooke in 1786, when it was tenanted. By 1841 it was part of the Orielton estate, occupied by John Daniel. The house is altered but retains C18 features within. The vaulted outbuilding is at right angles to a long added range.

Exterior

Range of rubble stone outbuildings with slate roofs. Lofted building at NE end at right angles to single storey range has stone-vaulted ground floor. Tall NW gable end to farm track with small stone loop each floor, the upper one with dripstone. Left side wall has small square window to loft at left. SW gable end, to farmyard, has ground floor masonry forward of upper gable masonry, suggesting vaulted structure is older than upper loft. Door with stone lintel. Right SW side has loft door to right, this side at right angles to single-storey farm range.
SW long single-storey range with whitewashed rubble walls and close-eaved slate roof. NW front has three wide cart-entrances with oak lintels under eaves, towards left end, and is otherwise windowless. Big C20 opening in upper NE gable end. Rubble stone rear SE elevation has three openings to upper left end, with timber lintels, the broader centre one blocked as window.

Interior

Vaulted ground floor has curved rubble stone barrel vault, and deep splayed reveal to end-wall loop window. Added range has pine pegged collar trusses, and formerly had dividing wall between cartsheds and upper end.

Reasons for Listing

Included in a higher grade as retaining a fine example of the stone vaulted basements of S Pembrokeshire. Scheduled Ancient Monument PE401.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.