This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4801 / 52°28'48"N
Longitude: -3.2727 / 3°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 313661
OS Northings: 287665
OS Grid: SO136876
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.JT1R
Mapcode Global: VH68B.7X6N
Entry Name: Upper Cwm-y-ddalfa
Listing Date: 10 March 1953
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 7565
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house is on a level site overlooking the farmyard, in the centre of the narrow valley, Cwm-y-ddalfa, and accessed by a farm track from Brynllywarch through the yard of Lower Cwm-y-ddalfa.
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The house, formerly known as Middle Cwm-y-ddalfa before the upper, Blaen Cwm-y-ddalfa was abandoned, is a large C17 lobby entry plan house. A two storey, two-bay cross wing and cellar was added at the S end in 1736 for the Revd. George Herbert and his wife Elizabeth, the house being a Herbert family home since being acquired by Richard Herbert, bailiff of Montgomery, from Foxe of Cainham in 1646-7. George Herbert was vicar of Kerry from 1720/1 but may not have lived here.
Timber framing of small square panels, refurbished and coated with pebbledash, and applied on vertical lathing over weatherboarding on the SW end. Slate roof with brick axial and end wall stacks. The windows and doors were replaced in the 1940-1950's. Central gabled open porch over part-glazed door. Metal windows, and timber casement windows to the upper floor, and 18-pane sashes to E front of the wing. The gable end of the wing is jettied, and has prominent datestone reading G E H / 1736. Very large external stone stack with offsets at N end of main range which has small lean-to at rear.
Lobby leads to living room to left (S) and service room to right. Most interior framing, panelling and detail present but now covered up. Divided stair, probably inserted in C18, with simple stick balustrade. Ceiling joists chamfered, some with pyramid stops, and supported on chamfered posts of unknown date in the hall and service room. Very large open fireplace, in service room with oven. The W room of the wing is said to be panelled under the present finishes.
Included as an important farmhouse retaining much original work under the later cladding.