This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5918 / 52°35'30"N
Longitude: -3.1877 / 3°11'15"W
OS Eastings: 319640
OS Northings: 299999
OS Grid: SO196999
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.9XHM
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.03BV
Entry Name: Glansevern Hall
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 7681
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Between the A483 and the River Severn; set in parkland.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The house was built for Arthur Davies Owen, and designed by Joseph Bromfield, architect, of Shrewsbury, c1800, who prepared various plans for the house before the present Greek Revival design was adopted. Various changes were made later, including the addition of a porch (though based on earlier designs), and a service wing in 1849 which was subsequently demolished.
Cefn ashlar, hipped slate roof set back behind cornice and blocking course. Yellow brick axial stacks set towards rear. 2 storeys; entrance front of 5 bays, the central 3 expressed by giant Ionic pilasters. Porch (added later) is also Ionic, with half-columns in antis, and coupled columns advanced to either side, carrying modillion cornice. Paired doors within the porch, which has glazed lantern roof. 9 and 12-pane sash windows; moulded cornice and blocking course. S elevation of 3 bays with central full-height shallow bow: tripartite sashes on each floor. Set back slightly to the right of this main block is a 2-window brick range, with sash windows with gauged brick heads. N elevation is a 5-window range with 12 and 9-pane sash windows. To the rear of the house, 2 shallow wings create a U-plan: the N wing is in separate occupation; part of the N wing is also self-contained.
Planned with the principal rooms set to either side of a central entrance and stair hall: this has wainscot panelling in C17 style, cantilevered stone stair case with cast iron balusters (from Hazeldine's Foundry). Principal rooms all have foliate plaster cornices, and marble fireplaces (the work of Thomas Nutt of London); former library has screen made from traceried panelling from Llangurig Church: wall-panelling incorporates panelling from Montgomery Church, and the overmantle is C17.
A fine example of a Greek Revival country house.
Other nearby listed buildings