This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6597 / 52°39'35"N
Longitude: -3.1472 / 3°8'49"W
OS Eastings: 322501
OS Northings: 307507
OS Grid: SJ225075
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5FTY
Mapcode Global: WH79P.MDJT
Plus Code: 9C4RMV53+V4
Entry Name: ,21,Broad Street,Welshpool,,POWYS,
Listing Date: 19 November 1963
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 7766
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the corner with Church Street.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The building is dated 1736, and was probably built by a local family, the Lloyds of Henllan. Although a single building, it was occupied as 2 until the late C19. By 1745 No 22 was occupied by a pharmacist, and later in the C18, by a grocer. It remained thereafter in continuous commercial use as a grocers' shop, incorporating No 21 in 1880. The adjacent buildings on Church Street appear to have been associated with it as warehousing from at least the early C19
Render over brick, with hipped slate roof, rear axial and end wall stacks. Late C19 photographs show the building with exposed brickwork and stone dressings including angle quoins - these now form the stressed angle pilasters. 3 storeys with attic, 4-window range, articulated by corner and central pilasters. Late C19 shop front occupying ground floor, with 2 entrances flanked by 3 tall bow windows, with side mirror strips enriched coloured decoration of birds, flowers etc. Continuous moulded fascia. 12-pane sash windows on each floor above, with cambered heads. String course over first floor, and central pilaster, together panelling the facade. Modillion eaves cornice, and 2 hipped dormers with 6-pane sash windows within the roof. 4-window return range to Church Street is also panelled by pilaster strips. It has disused doorway in moulded architrave to ground floor, and similar windows on upper storeys (the corner and third windows blind). 3 hipped dormers in the roof.
A very fine early C18 town house retaining much of its original external character, which is also of particular interest for the high quality of its late C19 shop front.
Other nearby listed buildings