This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6605 / 52°39'37"N
Longitude: -3.1505 / 3°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 322279
OS Northings: 307600
OS Grid: SJ222076
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5F0F
Mapcode Global: WH79P.KDZ6
Plus Code: 9C4RMR6X+6Q
Entry Name: Ael-y-Bryn including forecourt railings and steps
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 7796
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Adjacent to Welshpool Methodist Church.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: reputed to have been built c1815, by a former French prisoner, Dr Serph. A private house, latterly partly used as a dental surgery.
Description: Brick, slate roof, with gable end stacks. 3 storeys, 3-window range. Ground floor has a series of 3 depressed segmental arches, with doorway set into the right hand arch, in architrave with engaged Doric columns, and stained glass in shallow overlight. Central arch has shallow canted bay window, and right hand arch is entry to rear courtyard. Upper windows are 16-pane sashes, with flat-arched brick heads, and continuous painted sill band to first floor.
A narrow forecourt is bounded by wrought-iron railings on a stone plinth: these are divided by a middle rail, and the lower and upper posts all have fleur-de-lis finials. Shallow stone steps lead to front door, and have wrought-iron railings with swept hand rail.
A fine early C19 town-house of considerable stature, which retains much of its original character.
Reference: Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p28.
Other nearby listed buildings