This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6606 / 52°39'38"N
Longitude: -3.1512 / 3°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 322230
OS Northings: 307604
OS Grid: SJ222076
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5DTN
Mapcode Global: WH79P.KDM6
Entry Name: Talbot Public House
Listing Date: 25 April 1950
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 7798
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W corner with Chelsea Lane.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Probably originally built in the late C16-early C17, and raised in height in the later C18. In long-use as a public house, formerly known as The Corner House.
Exterior: Timber framing exposed in gable end and rear elevation: box framed with square panels, queen post and collar strut roof. Raised upper storey also framed (exposed in rear elevation) with posts of thin scantling. Elevation to street is rendered. Slate roof, with brick stack on left-hand gable (raised in height in later C19), and to rear (rubble base with brick shaft above). Scalloped barge-boards in gable end. Doorway set to left of centre, in early C19 timber porch. The original marbled Tuscan columns were replaced with square timber posts c1950-80, but the entablature remains, with relief lozenge-work panels to either side. Flanking windows are 2-light casements, and the upper windows (that to left not aligned), are similar small-paned horizontally sliding sashes. All windows have shutters. Rear elevation has small paned iron casement window in catslide dormer to right: a similar dormer window to the left is partially obscured by a separately roofed small 2-storeyed rear wing, probably added in the early C19.
Interior: 2-roomed plan-form, modified by the creation of a central bar. Axial chimney with corner fireplaces (retaining chamfered bressumers); fireplace in present lounge may be a later insertion: its cambered bressumer appears to cut the scrolled chamfer stop of the main axial beam.
An important example of a timber-framed town house, retaining its original layout substantially intact.
Other nearby listed buildings