This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6589 / 52°39'31"N
Longitude: -3.1458 / 3°8'45"W
OS Eastings: 322593
OS Northings: 307409
OS Grid: SJ225074
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5G5F
Mapcode Global: WH79P.NF5H
Plus Code: 9C4RMV53+GM
Entry Name: ,19,Severn Street,Welshpool,,POWYS,
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 7852
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Part of a continuous development on the S side of the street.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Built as a unified development and dated on rainwater heads, 1828. The terrace was built for a lawyer, Richard Griffiths-Parry, who had previously built the Mansion House as his own residence.
Exterior: Brick front, rough local rubble to rear, with slate roofs overhanging on broad eaves; end wall stacks to each property. 3 storeys, a symmetrical 9-window range comprising 4 properties. End bays are slightly recessed, and house passage entries (6-panelled doors with overlights). The ground floor between these 2 recessed bays is arcaded by a series of depressed arches linked by a projecting impost band which continues across the head of the central passage entry (detailed like the others). To either side of this, the arched recesses house paired doorways flanked by 12-pane sash windows. The 6-panelled doors with overlights are set in moulded architraves; the window recesses are rendered, with painted sills. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes with flat arched brick heads, but with blind window spaces (rendered) over main doors and central passage entrance, and with a canted oriel with 12-pane sash to the right. All are linked by a continuous sill band. Upper windows are 6-pane sashes below the eaves.
The terrace forms an elegant piece of planned urban development of the early C19, and has retained the uniformity of its original conception almost intact.
Reference: Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.89.
Other nearby listed buildings