History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanidloes, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4511 / 52°27'3"N

Longitude: -3.5392 / 3°32'21"W

OS Eastings: 295492

OS Northings: 284792

OS Grid: SN954847

Mapcode National: GBR 9H.LM88

Mapcode Global: VH5BX.LNTC

Entry Name: Long Bridge

Listing Date: 10 April 1989

Last Amended: 10 April 1989

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 8327

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the confluence of the rivers Clywedog and Severn at the end of the town.

County: Powys

Community: Llanidloes

Community: Llanidloes

Built-Up Area: Llanidloes

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanidloes

History

Built in 1826 by Thomas Penson and widened in 1938 on the upsteam side. Prior to this the timber Long Bridge (built 1741) was sited close to Frankwell. Cost รบ3,000.

Exterior

3-arched gently ramped bridge of coursed rubble masonry. Segmental arches and band course over. Low rubble cutwaters to upsteam side. Rubble soffit to older part, concrete to modern part. Parapets and pedestrian pavements are contemporary with widening; inscribed tablets to both parapets. Stepped out at each end are terminating piers. On the S bank, W side the parapet continues slightly ramped and then steps up and sweeps around the corner to terminate at the start of the footpath at the end of Long Bridge Street. On the E side the line of the Old Bridge curves outwards with rubble wall continuing beyond a pier, ramping down towards the pavement. On the N bank the listing stops at the end of the bridge on W side and on the E side the line of the old bridge curves out slightly to end in a pier at the road along the bank.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Frankwell House
    Reached by a short drive that was, prior to 1826, the main road into Llanidloes via the former Long Bridge. Left gable end faces the confluence of the rivers Clywedog and Severn.
  • II Frankwell Cottage
    Reached by a short drive that was, prior to 1826, the main road into Llanidloes via the former Long Bridge. Left gable end faces the confluence of the rivers Clywedog and Severn.
  • II Former English Wesleyan chapel
    Set into a row of frontages on the edge of the town; small railed forecourt to the front.
  • II No.22 Long Bridge Street,,,,,powys,
    Set in the slope, forward from the adjoining properties near the corner with Church Street; No 22 is slightly set back. Cobbled pavement to the front.
  • II Turner's Hair Fashions
    Set in the slope, forward from the adjoining properties near the corner with Church Street; No 22 is slightly set back. Cobbled pavement to the front.
  • II Boundary Walls and Gates to St. Idloes Parish Churchyard
    At the NW edge of the town with gateways on Penygraig Street and Church Street; borders Church Place to SW.
  • II St. Idloes Parish Church
    At the NW edge of town. Churchyard to S and River Severn below to N.
  • II Crown & Anchor P.H.
    Set into a row of frontages towards the N end of the street. Set back behind part of the old cobbled pavement.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.