This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5908 / 52°35'26"N
Longitude: -3.8466 / 3°50'47"W
OS Eastings: 275002
OS Northings: 300825
OS Grid: SH750008
Mapcode National: GBR 92.9X4D
Mapcode Global: WH57G.W4GN
Entry Name: The Court House
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 19 November 1990
Source ID: 8459
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the E end of the street; detached to left.
Built-Up Area: Machynlleth
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably late medieval cruck-framed, half-timbered hall house, storeyed and refaced in stone in l628. Then in Cl9 given applied and painted timber decoration to the front. Some modern alterations in conversion into two properties. l890 view shows the building as today but minus the right hand gable. Central gable dated '1628 IOWEN.PUGH IOUXOR', at one time it was the Mayor's house.
Single storey and attic with steep, undulating slate roof; stone gable parapets and chimney stacks with weathercoursing to ends and opposite the entry to No l06 (original main door). 3 gables, that to right is modern, with 3 and 4-light mullion and transom windows. Cross frame windows below each gable; all windows have diamond leaded glazing. Roof extends down to extreme left over lean-to with small window; lean to square bay below central gable. Paired boarded doors to right of centre. The timber decoration is mainly close studded and herringbone and applied in an unarchaeological manner. Lean-to on left gable end; modernised at rear, whitewashed render.
Lobby entry plan form. No 106 has simple stop chamfered beams and deep window recesses. Now 2 ground floor rooms, each with fireplaces, that to right is blocked but that to left retains fine Cl7 plaster overmantel depicting basket of fruit surrounded by strapwork like band; it does not symmetrically fit the overmantel space. The main beam to this room is deeply chamfered. 2 cruck trusses visible upstairs with twin overlapping purlins; pegged and lapped joints.
Graded II* for its importance as a town-house with late medieval origins and for its C17 plasterwork.
Group value with Nos 94 to l02 and No 117.
Other nearby listed buildings