History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Cynllo

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangunllo, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3339 / 52°20'2"N

Longitude: -3.1582 / 3°9'29"W

OS Eastings: 321177

OS Northings: 271282

OS Grid: SO211712

Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.V53R

Mapcode Global: VH695.6LRN

Entry Name: Church of St. Cynllo

Listing Date: 30 June 1992

Last Amended: 30 June 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9114

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Elevated position in centre of Llangunllo village.

County: Powys

Community: Llangunllo (Llangynllo)

Community: Llangunllo

Locality: LLangullo Village

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Llangunllo

History

Reputedly on site of a C5/6 monastic cell. Substantial rebuilding of the medieval church in Early English style by John Middleton architect of Cheltenham in 1878. Tower and porch rebuilt by F R Kempson in 1896.

Exterior

Long, low nave and chancel, north transept and lean-to vestry, broad three storey battlemented west tower, gabled south porch. Coursed rubble with freestone copings, slate roofs with decorative crosswork pattern in grey and blue. Windows mainly paired lancets with drip moulds. C13 single lancet survives in north wall. South door to chancel under pointed arch. Re-set coat of arms on east wall of chancel.

Interior

Tall pointed chancel arch with engaged columns, transept arcading with moulded capitals. Fine roof in C15 style with alternating tie-beam and open arch-braced trusses; the principals of the latter type rest on elaborately moulded timber corbels. Three tiers of cusped windbraces. Re-set C15 doorway leads to tower. Three bells, one of 1614, two of 1869. Aumbry, trefoil headed piscina and double sedilia. Re-used medieval floor tiles in the chancel. Font, pews, pulpit and lectern all contemporary with the re-building and have trefoil and quatrefoil decoration. Four monuments at west end include one of C18 with open pediment to sons of James Meyrick of Pen-y-Clawdd.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.