This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3216 / 52°19'17"N
Longitude: -3.1172 / 3°7'1"W
OS Eastings: 323949
OS Northings: 269864
OS Grid: SO239698
Mapcode National: GBR B1.VWRQ
Mapcode Global: VH695.XXF4
Entry Name: Treburvaugh
Listing Date: 30 June 1992
Last Amended: 30 June 1992
Source ID: 9129
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Hillside position, 3 km SE of Llangunllo village and 1.5 km north of Monaughty; approached via lane leading N from the A488 Knighton road.
Community: Llangunllo (Llangynllo)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Early C19, extended and embellished shortly after 1898 when it was purchased for a holiday home by John Thomas Jackson, a millowner from Rochdale. He became High Sheriff of Radnorshire in 1905.
Two storey, L-plan with two rear service wings. Bay window to right front gable end and open timber verandah running along main range. Coursed rubble construction under slate roofs. The front elevations and right hand gable end have been encased in applied timber work in imitation of timber framing. Decorative elements include cusped bracing in small square panels, ogee bracing in tall thin panels and rows of fretwork strips resembling pierced splat balusters.
Projecting stone stack to right side of front wing and to gable end of left hand service wing; stack to rear of main range and two ridge stacks to service wings, all with rebuilt brick uppers.
Main range has late C19 moulded and deep-set cross windows with small panes. Rear ranges have mainly early C19 cross windows of smaller section, some with original small-pane glazing and iron-framed casements, others with replacement leaded lights in diamond pattern. All the window openings in the exposed rubble walls have flat stone arches. The elevation of the left hand service wing which faces the driveway has symmetrical window arrangement with small blind panels under the eaves. Doors into the service wings have four tall panels and rectangular overlights.
Remodelling of circa 1898 with embellishment of deep moulded cornices, pilasters and applied fretwork timbers to reception rooms, staircase, hall and first floor landing. Bay window room has open fireplace with elaborate overmantel of circa 1898 and metal hearth canopy with Art Nouveau decoration incorporating the entwined initials of J T Jackson.
Staircase in Jacobean style with pierced splat balusters.
Listed for its special interest as an unspoilt small country house.
Other nearby listed buildings