History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Iscoed

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ishmael (Llanismel), Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7772 / 51°46'37"N

Longitude: -4.3445 / 4°20'40"W

OS Eastings: 238350

OS Northings: 211322

OS Grid: SN383113

Mapcode National: GBR DD.ZC06

Mapcode Global: VH3LV.NL2H

Plus Code: 9C3QQMG4+V5

Entry Name: Iscoed

Listing Date: 5 March 1982

Last Amended: 28 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9732

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 2km NE of Ferryside, on the W side of a private road N of the Ferryside to Carmarthen Road.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: St. Ishmael (Llanismel)

Community: St. Ishmael

Locality: Iscoed

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Ferryside

History

Begun in 1772 for Sir William Mansel, possibly by Anthony Keck, architect who worked for the family at Penrice and Margam, Glamorgan. Apparently unfinished on Mansel's death in 1804, it was bought as a 'shell' by General Sir Thomas Picton, who died at Waterloo. It remained in the Picton family until 1919, after which minor alterations were undertaken for a subsequent owner by Glendining Moxham, architect of Swansea. Its last use was as council flats in the years after 1945, but has been empty since 1957. The S wing was partly restored c1979.

Exterior

A large late Georgian country house looking W over Carmarthen Bay. It is a symmetrical composition of a 3-storey 5-bay main range with outer wings attached by screen walls, and service range at the rear, enclosing a central courtyard. Now mainly a roofless shell, its main elevations are brick, rear elevations of rubble stone with red-brick dressings.

The main range has a central added porch reached by curved steps on either side with iron railings. Windows have flat brick arches, and in the lower storey are within arched recesses with raised stone impost band. The middle storey has a thick stone sill band. A stone cornice is beneath a roughcast parapet. Side walls are 3-bay, the R side retaining the polygonal walls of a former conservatory. On the L side the screen wall has a wide opening under a flat brick arch. On the R side the screen wall has a narrower round-headed opening. The outer wings, of which the R-hand (S) has a hipped slate roof and small-pane windows inserted c1979, have a single-bay W front with window in an arched recess and raised stone impost band. The 7-bay side elevations have a stone plat band. The 3 central bays are brought forward and in the S wing retain a gabled roof. The rear service wing forms a 12-window elevation to the road. Its projecting central entrance is under a tall round arch with oculus above it. Doorways are also set back from the R and L ends.

Interior

The interior had, in 1958, at least 4 finely designed and moulded mantelpieces of later C18, decorative plasterwork and stair with square balusters beyond Venetian archway in hall, although the condition of the house was already poor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding its present condition, as a substantial Georgian country house retaining its overall architectural form, of interest for the unusual use of brick in Carmarthenshire, and as the home of General Picton, who died at Waterloo.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.