This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2935 / 52°17'36"N
Longitude: -4.1606 / 4°9'38"W
OS Eastings: 252745
OS Northings: 268352
OS Grid: SN527683
Mapcode National: GBR 8N.XQ6W
Mapcode Global: VH3JF.TMT4
Plus Code: 9C4Q7RVQ+CQ
Entry Name: Plas Gwyn
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 9816
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.5km NE of Llanon approached by a 250m drive S of the A487.
Community: Llansantffraed (Llansanffraid)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Country house built 1832 -4 for John Hughes, to the designs of Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. The contractor was Richard James of Aberystwyth. The building contract was for £2,000. The bow windows on the garden front may be later additions. Known as Alltllwyd until later C20.
Whitewashed rubble stone (originally roughcast), with slate hipped low-pitched roofs, deep bracketted eaves, and rendered stacks. Two storeys and basement, rectangular main house, 3-window S entrance front, long 6-window W front, overlooking sea. NE service wing. 12-pane sashes to first floor and 15-pane to ground floor generally, stone voussoirs and painted stone sills.
Entrance front is hipped with 2 ridge stacks. Projected centre bay with pediment and fine iron tented verandah each side. Centre has plain arched opening each side into verandahs and ground floor front 15-pane window. Verandahs are 3-bay with pierced flat cast-iron piers of neo-classical design, tented roofs are felted, probably originally metal-clad. Left verandah has C20 glazing. Right verandah has French window within.
Garden front is hipped with pediments over slightly projected second and fifth bays, and ground floor two broad curved stuccoed bow-windows. Bows have pilasters, plain cornices, parapets and three 15-pane sashes each. Bows may be added, although there is no evidence in stonework of earlier windows answering to those above.
N end is hipped with rendered ridge and E end stacks, 2-storey, three-window elevation, and basement door to right. To left is lower service wing, 2 storeys, 3-window N side with ridge stack, hipped E end and L-plan S front (largely obscured). N side has 12-pane sashes and 6-panel door with overlight between second and third windows. E end has one first floor sash, S return is windowless. In angle between house E side and service wing S front is C20 single storey addition. Incorporated in E side is original service-court gateway, arched with bellcote over, the bellcote with small stone octagonal spirelet over. E side of main house has small hipped roof between hipped ends of S and N sides, over tripartite first floor sash lighting stair. 12-pane sash to left.
Good Regency style interiors. Arched entry to spine hall with half-glazed double doors and fanlight with radiating bars and patterned coloured glass margins. Hall has niche to left, arch at end. Main rooms to SW, NW and N. Staircase off to E. Stair hall has broad wooden staircase with short return and long top landing. Twisted slim balusters and moulded rail. Stair hall ceiling has lozenge panelling divided by rope-moulded bands. Ornate oval acanthus and bead centrepiece. Three main rooms have similar plain neo-classical pilastered fireplaces, each in 5
different coloured marble. 6-panel doors, moulded cornices or ceiling borders, panelled shutters. N room has E end elliptical-arched recess with plaster vaulting, panelled pilasters and moulded arch.. Plasterwork in main W rooms not echoed in bow windows.
Listed II* as a fine and unspoilt country house of the 1830s by Haycock of Shrewsbury, comparable with Monachty and Plas Llangoedmor in Ceredigion.
Other nearby listed buildings