History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandyfriog, Ceredigion

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0433 / 52°2'35"N

Longitude: -4.382 / 4°22'55"W

OS Eastings: 236735

OS Northings: 241000

OS Grid: SN367410

Mapcode National: GBR DC.FFQ5

Mapcode Global: VH3KH.0W8Z

Plus Code: 9C4Q2JV9+86

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 21 September 1964

Last Amended: 4 June 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9879

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Secluded location at end of lane E off Penrhiw-Llan to Henllan by-road on steep wooded hillside. 1.5km S of Penrhiw-Llan.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)

Community: Llandyfriog

Locality: Penrhiw-Llan

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Henllan

History

Formerly the parish church of Llanfair Orllwyn. Rebuilt either in 1808 or c1820, but not fitted out until 1842 by Rees Davies of Llandysul. Restored and refitted 1887.

Exterior

Rubble built. Slate roof with cemented copings. Square early C19 rendered domed bellcote to W gable, remodelled belfry openings. Nave and lower narrower chancel. Pointed W door, paired boarded doors: stone voussoirs. Small round arched recess above with keystone. Three tall pointed windows to nave S with timber Y-tracery of 1887. Similar windows to nave N, but easternmost is wider, with simple 1887 timber intersecting tracery: similar E window. All windows with stone voussoired heads, projecting keystones and drips: slate sills. Simple late C19 rubble lean-to vestry N of chancel.

Interior

Simple interior. Of chief note is the excellent C13 font, whose square bowl has a chamfered underside rising to chamfered-off corners. Each face has 3 odd projecting baubles: circular pedestal roughly scalloped to tapering square base. Four-centred chancel arch, two steps to chancel. Simple late C19 pews, pulpit, communion rail and lectern. Five late C19 bracketed oil-lamps in nave.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an attractive early C19 church with a most unusual C13 font.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milestone in Village Centre
    Situated in centre of Penrhiw-Llan on S side of A475, immediately W of turning to Henllan. Freestanding.
  • II Maesllan
    Situated in village centre on S side of A475.
  • II Former Stable Range at old Rectory
    The Old Rectory is situated on the S side of the by-road 40m E of the entrance to Bangor Teifi church. The large yard is on the N (road) side of the house with the stable range at the NW corner.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Situated on S side of by-road 40m E of entrance to Bangor Teifi church.
  • II Former Agricultural Ranges at Old Rectory
    The Old Rectory is situated on the S side of the by-road 40m E of the entrance of Bangor Teifi church. The large yard is on the N (road) side of the house with the L-plan agricultural range at the NE
  • II* Former P.O.W. Chapel at Henllan Caravan Park
    Detached utilitarian building towards SE corner of caravan park, which is located on the E side of the B4334, 0.3 km SW of Henllan.
  • II Village War Memorial
    Prominent village site on steep bank, S of A475.
  • II Yr Hen Ysgol
    Prominently situated in village centre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.