History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ceredigion

A Grade II Listed Building in Aberystwyth, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4131 / 52°24'47"N

Longitude: -4.0854 / 4°5'7"W

OS Eastings: 258256

OS Northings: 281503

OS Grid: SN582815

Mapcode National: GBR 8R.P4QD

Mapcode Global: VH4FC.4LKZ

Entry Name: Ceredigion

Listing Date: 21 July 1961

Last Amended: 24 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10206

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the corner with Gray’s Inn Road, set into the slope.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Aberystwyth

Community: Aberystwyth

Built-Up Area: Aberystwyth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Aberystwyth

History

Shown on ca.1790 map. Formerly known as Loveden House, it was the Gogerddan Town House; became a Baptist College in 1894 following its move from Haverfordwest. Later bought by George Rees, the founder of the Welsh Gazette, the first copy of which was printed here on 17 April 1899. Closed in December 1964 after the take-over by the Cambrian News and then became the District Council Offices.

Exterior

Georgian symmetrical 3-storey and basement 5-window painted roughcast front with plinth; slate roof, boarded eaves, brick and rubble and chimney stacks. Recessed sash windows, small-pane to 2nd and ground floors and also to basement. Broad central Ionic doorcase with bracket cornice and plain entablature; panelled reveals and soffit, panelled double doors and traceried fanlight. Roughcast left gable end; rubble rear with small pane sash windows and voussoir lintels.

Interior

Interior retains contemporary detail, broad entrance hall with acanthus and bracket cornice, large pilaster foliated rose to ceiling. Broad segmental arch carried on paired Doric columns and with panelled doors leads through to original open well staircase with similar cornice. The Building Control Office to right has filled in triple arch alcoves. Tunnel vaulted cellars now divided up. Panelled doors, reeded doorcases etc.

Reasons for Listing

Group value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Westminster House
    Midway down the street, stepped up from the adjoining properties.
  • II The Nags Head PH
    Set into a continuous row of frontages in the upper part of the Street.
  • II Old Black Lion Hotel
    Set back from No 14 behind cobbled pavement.
  • II Eglwys St Mair
    On a sloping island site; W end and S side to William Street and E end overlooking George Street.
  • II Ystwyth
    Adjoins No 12 at the top of the Street, the Old Black Lion Hotel set back to the right.
  • II The Old Bank House
    Set into the continuos row of frontages stepped in the slope; set back from adjoining properties behind contemporary cast-iron railings.
  • II Connexion
    Near the top of the Street, stepped up from the properties adjoining to the left.
  • II No.44 Queen Street,,,,,dyfed,
    Situated on the rounded corner with Queen Street. Formerly called Commerce House.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.