This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.212 / 52°12'43"N
Longitude: -4.3618 / 4°21'42"W
OS Eastings: 238728
OS Northings: 259721
OS Grid: SN387597
Mapcode National: GBR DD.2STT
Mapcode Global: VH3JQ.BNXL
Entry Name: Towyn Independent Chapel including School Room forward on right
Listing Date: 31 January 1994
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 10828
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated opposite the Memorial Hall, terraced above road.
Community: New Quay (Ceinewydd)
Community: New Quay
Built-Up Area: New Quay
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Independent Chapel in squared, tooled grey-brown rubble stone with slate roof, coped shouldered gables and apex finial. Large classical style chapel with three-bay end facade, the left bay obscured by c1890 schoolroom addition; but original design is distinguished with plain angle and dividing pilasters, two-step frieze and cement moulded cornice, stopped short of gable shoulder. Gable is plain with vent roundel and arched date plaque. Main front has arched windows on two floors, small-paned with marginal and radiating glazing bars, centre window is broader, those to right are obscured. Porch in rock-faced rubble stone with arched doorway on two faces is an addition of c1890, in angle to schoolroom. Ledged doors and crescent overlights.
Prominent side elevation, three-window with similar arched windows to upper level but long cambered-headed windows below. End wall has rendered 1909 rear addition with parapet, canted 'apse' end and long arched windows. Low gabled stone addition to E side with arched door and apex roundel.
Schoolroom: Runs NE from main front, rock-faced rubble stone with six long arched windows and slate gabled roof.
Chapel is set on high rubble stone terrace with iron railings, openwork piers and double gates.
Painted gallery front on three sides with splayed angles and long rectangular panels, carried on short plain iron posts (marked T Thomas, Cardigan). Painted grained box pews. Pulpit with curved panelled front, baluster stairs each side and big 1909 organ (by A Young & Sons, Manchester) behind. Organ recess has ornate plasterwork to depressed arch. Boarded ceiling with ornate centre plaster rose. Screen at entry end with traceried window, etched glass centre oval panel and coloured glass inserts to margins.
Other nearby listed buildings