History in Structure

Prince of Wales Inn, also known as Ty Newydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Cynffig, Bridgend

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5224 / 51°31'20"N

Longitude: -3.7258 / 3°43'32"W

OS Eastings: 280365

OS Northings: 181801

OS Grid: SS803818

Mapcode National: GBR H6.H7K4

Mapcode Global: VH5H8.CZPS

Plus Code: 9C3RG7CF+XM

Entry Name: Prince of Wales Inn, also known as Ty Newydd

Listing Date: 6 June 1952

Last Amended: 2 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11219

Building Class: Commercial

Also known as: Prince of Wales
Prince of Wales, Bridgend

ID on this website: 300011219

Location: The former borough of Kenfig lies W of North Cornelly, on the edge of the sand dunes. The inn stands facing S, with the gable end against the road from Maudlam to Porthcawl.

County: Bridgend

Town: Cynffig

Community: Cornelly (Corneli)

Community: Cornelly

Locality: Kenfig

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Pub Inn

Find accommodation in
North Cornelly


The Borough of Kenfig first appears in history in 1140's when the Earl of Gloucester built a church for the planted English settlement and port.

This building, which began as a meeting chamber raised on pillars, may incorporate fabric erected with monies bequeathed by Evan Griffith in 1605, when he left six shillings (thirty pence) 'promised towards building a courthouse in Kenfig'. The building contains a first floor court room where Courts Leet met twice annually, and Courts of Pleas, Inquests and the Hall Days and the Gwyliau Mabsant were convened, and where the burgesses assembled under their government of an elected portreeve and 12 aldermen. The building also did duty as a schoolroom for the borough from the 1670's and a Sunday school was held there from 1864. It is also known as the Guildhall and is still used for a variety of functions and holds a pictorial record of events associated with the historic borough of Kenfig. The present structure is probably that said to have been rebuilt in 1808, and was modified and adapted in the later C19 and C20.


Built of rubble stonework, with a graded slate roof between coped end gables. Painted gable stacks. Two storeys, 3 bays. Symmetrical elevation to the two left bays, with inset doorway with cambered head, flanked by C20 stained timber paned windows, also with cambered rubble voussoir heads. Two windows to W gable upper floor, and a stone flight of steps between the E gable end and an adjoining 2-storey building set at right angles. Various additions at the rear.


The ground floor plan has been modified by removal of internal walls. End fireplaces. The Town Hall or Court Room on the upper floor, approached by an external flight of steps, is entered at the NE corner. It has 5 bays formed with open timber trusses ceiled at collar level, all probably C18 but restored. Some C17 wall panelling and wooden benches, partly original but mostly restored, and a raised dais at the W end.

Reasons for Listing

Graded II largely on its special historical interest as the focus of the former decayed borough of Cynffig/Kenfig.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.