History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle (Castell), Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6213 / 51°37'16"N

Longitude: -3.9453 / 3°56'43"W

OS Eastings: 265426

OS Northings: 193184

OS Grid: SS654931

Mapcode National: GBR WRP.6Y

Mapcode Global: VH4K9.KHMX

Entry Name: Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Hall

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11591

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Prominently sited on the corner with Dynevor Place.

County: Swansea

Community: Castle (Castell)

Community: Castle

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Swansea

History

Originally constructed 1825-6 (cost £4,510). Enlarged 1875-6 to designs by George Morgan, architect of Carmarthen; chapel lengthened with new street front, reseated and galleries lowered, new windows provided, pulpit introduced. Lecture hall of 1885, class rooms and vestries of 1904-5.

Exterior

Splendid 5-bay Bath stone front with tetrastyle Corinthian portico, oculus with vermiculated keystones in pediment. Modern pantile roof, balustraded parapets over side bays with Corinthian pilasters. Arched windows to 1st floor (centre blind), keyblocked architraves with imposts, balustered aprons, marginal glazing bars. Similar treatment to ground floor openings with acanthus keyblocks, foliage trail spandrels and vermiculated blocks to jambs, 3-panel double doors. Central scalloped niche. Wide flight of steps leads up from paved area behind modern railings and piers. One-bay returns in similar style; rest of side elevations rendered with tall round-headed windows, arched tracery, right-hand elevation with Corinthian pilasters and moulded eaves.

School-room block set back on left with 2 storey rendered gable, Corinthian pilasters, oculus over three arched windows per storey. Add block set back on right with 2 storey and attic pedimented front, Corinthian corner pilasters, 3 lights in echelon over 4 arched windows per storey, cill and impost bands. Arched doorcase ground floor right. 6-bay flank elevation to Dynevor Place, pedimented rear as before.

Long rectangular interior with flat ceiling, three roses with plasterwork foliage, moulded cornice. 3-sided gallery front with triglyph frieze and panels above cornice, cast-iron columns. Venetian window treatment to organ recess at inner end above Gothic pulpit with twin decorative ironwork handrails. 1905 organ.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.