This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6208 / 51°37'14"N
Longitude: -3.9411 / 3°56'27"W
OS Eastings: 265717
OS Northings: 193115
OS Grid: SS657931
Mapcode National: GBR WSC.2M
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.MJVC
Entry Name: Castle Cinema
Listing Date: 2 August 1984
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 11673
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Adjoining Swansea Castle on the edge of the slope above the Strand where there is a second facade.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1912-14. Designed by C S Thomas Meager and Jones, architects of Swansea, for the Andrews family of Cardiff. Damaged by fire 1927 and partly bomb damaged in 1944, interior refitted 1962.
Worcester Place front set in slope, classical with Beaux Arts influence. 2 storeys 3 bays, ashlar with giant Doric order treatment, triglyph frieze, heavy cornice, openwork parapet with enriched supports and latticework panels. Brick gable end behind parapet. Elaborately carved cartouche with festoons and wreath to panel over central entrance, side windows with lattice-glazing and festoons. Channelled pilasters to ground floor with recessed swing-doors and fanlights.
Tall Strand Street facade of 3 storeys, brick with freestone dressings to main cornice over 1st floor, channelled quoins, cill bands, keystones etc. Frieze to 2nd floor with gilt "Castle Cinema" inscription, 7 openings to 1st floor with blind arched heads over, large centre doorway and lesser flanking doors to ground floor.
Interior retains original longitudinal foyer within Worcester Place facade, classical detailing to architraves, cornices and triple entrances to auditorium (centre on blocked by later paybox, and staircases with fine wrought iron brackets to handrails. Classical detailing continues under gallery (now partitioned from main auditorium) mostly original 3 panel doors.
Plain rectangular auditorium with segmental vault (now upholstered) coved cornice, pilasters behind 1960s wall coverings. Original sinuous gallery front with safety bars at circle level, stage end remodelled for wide screen about 1962. Subsidiary rooms below screen end.
Other nearby listed buildings