This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8606 / 51°51'38"N
Longitude: -4.9204 / 4°55'13"W
OS Eastings: 199000
OS Northings: 222038
OS Grid: SM990220
Mapcode National: GBR CN.SS7J
Mapcode Global: VH1R7.NHMH
Entry Name: Scolton Manor
Listing Date: 13 December 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 2001
Source ID: 11984
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated in own grounds on W side of B4329 some 1.5 km SE of Spittal village.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Country house of 1840 built for the Higgon family to designs by William and James Owen of Haverfordwest. It cost about £3,000. The Higgon family had been owners since the C16, the old house was burnt down in the mid C18 and the family moved to Haverfordwest. Since 1972 owned by Pembrokeshire County Council, and open to the public.
Country house in restrained neo-classical style, unpainted stucco, lined as ashlar with slate hipped roofs and flat overhanging eaves. Rendered chimney stacks, 2 on ridge of S range, 2 on ridge of E range and one on W range. Five-window S front to garden, 3-window E entrance front and 4-window W front, all with raised plinth, sill band at first floor and band under eaves, the windows with heavy stepped voussoirs and keystones, generally 12-pane sashes above and late C19 or early C20 plate-glass sashes below. S front is in 2-1-2 bays, the centre bay recessed with tripartite sash each floor, 4-12-4 above, plate-glass below. E front has similarly recessed centre bay and door is further recessed in loggia of 2 pairs of Ionic columns with entablature over. Within is large half-glazed door with sidelights and 1-3-1-pane overlight in frame of thin panelled piers with paterae at intersections. W front has 12-pane sashes both floors and basement door under second window from left.
Rear is utilitarian, with hipped one-window end to E front, the windows blank, recessed centre and right with 2 gables and large arched stair light with marginal glazing bars. Right has gabled NW service wing with added lean-tos. There were outhouses to N demolished in 1970s.
Interior plan of E end vestibule, broad hall with cantilever stone stair on N, and axial corridor beyond, with 3 main rooms to the S, SE drawing-room, centre library and SW dining-room. Corridor turns right into NW service wing with cellar below, servants stair to E and butler's pantry, servants hall and kitchen to W. First floor plan has similar axial corridor from broad landing, but S front has 3 bedrooms separated by 2 dressing-rooms. Six-panel doors and panelled shutters generally.
Vestibule and main hall are stone flagged. Stair hall has fine cantilevered ashlar staircase with cast-iron balusters. Stair rises to landing on S and E. Drawing room has foliage and flower ceiling border, ornate gilded pelmets to window matching a big mirror on side table and white marble neo-grecian fireplace. Double-doors to library in centre small room has similar ceiling border and 4 inset small bookcases. Earlier C20 fireplace. SW dining-room has lotus-leaf rose to ceiling and white marble fireplace with paterae and fine iron grate. In service range, butler's pantry has large cupboards, servant's hall has slate fireplace with paterae and kitchen has very large dresser and N fireplace with iron range brought from Poyston Hall. Scullery off to E. Slate steps down to extensive cellars with various vaulted chambers. Servants stair has stick balusters and turned newels. First floor rooms generally have simple reeded ceiling borders and slate fireplaces with panelled jambs and paterae. Stair hall has lotus rose and matching iron balusters to 2 sides of landing.
Graded II* as a complete late Georgian style country house of 1840 with fine stone cantilever stair and near-complete original interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings