This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7758 / 51°46'33"N
Longitude: -4.9359 / 4°56'9"W
OS Eastings: 197553
OS Northings: 212653
OS Grid: SM975126
Mapcode National: GBR CM.Z8BK
Mapcode Global: VH1RM.DMFH
Entry Name: Boulston Manor
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 16 July 2004
Source ID: 11985
Building Class: Domestic
Community: Uzmaston, Boulston and Slebech (Uzmaston, Boulston a Slebets)
Community: Uzmaston and Boulston
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gentry house built by Major Dudley Acland in 1797. He bought the Boulston Manor estate from Admiral Sir Charles Cotton, and as the old manor house of the Wogan family by the water was derelict decided to build on a new site. Occupied by Kenneth Walker 1926.
Country house, unpainted stucco with slate hipped roofs, flat eaves and red brick chimneys. Two storeys, U-plan with entrance to W and principal facade to S. Entrance front has broad centre bay recessed between projecting hipped roofed side bays. Two ridge stacks, long arch-headed sash-window each floor to side bays while recessed centre has a Palladian tripartite window each floor. All the arched heads have Gothic intersecting glazing bars, over 12 panes generally except for ground floor centre Palladian window which has C20 glazed double doors instead. Both Palladian windows have 8-pane side lights. Painted stone sills. The centre is set on a bow-fronted sandstone-flagged terrace with two basement grilles each side of flight of 6 sandstone steps up. Platform carries a curved balcony on two Roman Doric timber columns and two half-columns. Cornice is altered and first floor has curving wrought iron railings but is said to have had a tent canopy.
The sides are long and plain with 12-pane hornless sashes. W side of 7 bays has wider spacing each side of centre bay, and main porch in centre of right three bays. Brick ridge stack left of centre bay. Porch is reached up 8 broad sandstone steps with wrought iron rails. Enclosed timber porch with angle Roman Doric columns, pilaster responds, frieze and dentil cornice. Double half-glazed doors with marginal glazing bars, side lights and top lights. The sides have fixed small-paned glazing. Moulded doorcase within with dentil cornice and incised frieze.
E side has two brick ridge stacks and five-window range, C20 French window in ground floor left bay.
Deep narrow rear court with sunk basement behind rear of front range, which has an outshut with very long 42-pane window. The rear of each wing has a one-bay projection or outshut in angle to main range. W range outshut has first floor N 12-pane sash, and then rear is mostly windowless to first floor with side-wall brick stack and 3 hipped 12-pane dormers on eaves. Ground floor has lean-to running N from outshut with 9-pane and square 6-pane window and continuing beyond N end with 6-pane window, arch-headed door with fanlight, two 6-pane windows and a plain door. Basement area has stone steps down turning through arch under E range. Open passages under both E and W sides, the E one with broad 4-panel basement door at S end. Beyond the E range a wall with door links to a plain hipped 2-storey 4-bay block with square 8-pane sashes above and 16-pane sashes below, arched window in third bay, presumably a former door. Two rear wall brick stacks.
Interior is said to retain plan-form of a long entrance hall in W wing with stairs at N end with ramped rail and stick balusters. Six-panel doors, panelled shutters. Centre room on garden front with moulded cornice. Small SW corner room.
Included as a substantial late Georgian country house prominently facing over the waterway.
Other nearby listed buildings