History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable block at Clareston

A Grade II Listed Building in Freystrop, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7558 / 51°45'20"N

Longitude: -4.9619 / 4°57'43"W

OS Eastings: 195667

OS Northings: 210495

OS Grid: SM956104

Mapcode National: GBR G7.RF49

Mapcode Global: VH1RS.Y45C

Entry Name: Stable block at Clareston

Listing Date: 1 March 1963

Last Amended: 26 February 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11992

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Some 50m W of the house at Clareston.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Freystrop

Community: Freystrop

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Rosemarket

History

Formal earlier C19 entrance range to farm court at Clareston, gentry house owned by Roch family to 1833. Probably part of the improvements attributed to William Owen of Haverfordwest made to the house just before 1833.

Exterior

Outbuilding range, rubble stone probably all originally rough rendered. Long tall classical range with slate roof and centre octagonal timber lantern with ogee dome and arched openings. Big pedimented centre throughway with plain paired square brackets to pediment, high round-arched throughway flanked by narrow smaller blank arches, linked by moulded possibly stucco imposts. Roundel in pediment with C19 cast-iron clock-face. Range to left is rough rendered with big arched coach entry to left, against side of slightly projected end pavilion with pediment and similar coach-entry. Both coach entries have flush double boarded doors with wrought iron strap hinges. Left pediment is smaller than centre one without the brackets, and has pointed glazed lunette with Y-tracery. Right range is rubble stone, shorter, without openings before end pavilion which has lost pediment and has narrower taller arched opening with blank tympanum.
Throughway has high flat ceiling, arched doorway on each side with stone voussoirs.
Rear to farm court is plain rubble stone with close eaved roofs to wings, small square loft windows and various altered ground floor doors and windows. Centre arch reaches almost to eaves and has stone voussoirs. Gable to right end.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a large-scale simplified classical farm range, unusual in the county.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.