This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.745 / 51°44'42"N
Longitude: -5.0654 / 5°3'55"W
OS Eastings: 188479
OS Northings: 209593
OS Grid: SM884095
Mapcode National: GBR G5.C9S9
Mapcode Global: VH1RR.4DZM
Entry Name: Church of Saint Andrew
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 30 April 2004
Source ID: 12005
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the S side of the minor road through Robeston West.
Town: Milford Haven
Community: Walwyn's Castle (Castell Gwalchmai)
Community: Walwyn's Castle
Locality: Robeston West
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church, mostly medieval, remarkable for the vaulted nave and porch, and ribbed octagonal vault of tower. The nave is probably C13, the tower C14 but with the low openings S and E broken through in C17. The NE chapel, of the Roch family of Rickeston and Clareston, is C15, and at the time the chancel roof was probably raised. Repaired 1863 by W. H. Lindsey, and again in 1908 by D. E. Thomas & Son. In 1922 there was a carved Royal arms on the W wall of the NE chapel, not seen. There was a restoration of the tower in 1925.
Parish church, red sandstone rubble and grouted slate roofs, slate to chancel. Nave, chancel, tower added on N side of nave with porch added later, in angle to tower. NE chapel added to left of tower. Tall and dominant tower is battered with corbelled flat parapet and plain 2-light rectangular louvred bell-lights, blocked on S. N side has small lancet with relieving arch, and 3 loops and NE stair tower to right with 5 loops, capped flat at parapet level. Porch to right has straight joint to tower, pointed arch with big stone voussoirs, coped gable and grouted slate roof. Medieval plaster pointed stone vault within and rendered stone seats. The pointed grey stone door within is set to left (as it predates the porch and tower). C19 board door. Ogee headed piscina on right side wall. Nave has coped gables and unusual rebated corners at NW, SW and SE angles. W wall has battered base, C19 2-light window with trefoil in head and very plain gabled bellcote with square-headed bell-opening. Battered S wall with low sloping SW buttress. Blocked S door to left with stone voussoirs to pointed opening, and C19 ashlar 2-light traceried window to right. Chancel has projection to left, in angle to nave, with C19 cusped single light, and C19 uncusped single light to right. Coped E gable with cross finial and C19 3-light window, stepped cusped lancets in ashlar pointed surround.
NE chapel has coped E gable projecting beyond chancel E end, with cross finial, C19 3-light E window with flat head, cusped lights and hoodmould. Original relieving arch over. N wall has two ashlar C15 two-light windows with cusped lights and relieving arches over.
Fine interior with pointed plastered medieval nave vault. Opposed recessed doorways with cambered heads. Stoup to right of N door set very low, chamfered pointed arch and half-octagonal projecting bowl. Tower has broad low cambered-arched openings into nave N and into NE chapel, uncertain date, painted tooled stone chamfered piers and arches. The arch to the nave also has plain capitals to piers. Arch has been blocked. The chancel arch is chamfered and pointed on half-octagonal piers, all painted. Two rood-loft corbels over. Chancel has C19 boarded segmental-pointed roof. W wall is recessed to right of chancel arch with half-arch against angle of N wall. N wall has 2-bay arcade in painted tooled stone to NE chapel, chamfered pointed arches on octagonal pier with half-octagonal responds. Chamfered plain capitals. Five corbels at various heights under eaves. S side has cambered-headed recess to right, 2 corbels at differing heights and C19 painted cusped stone reveal to window with seat in reveal. E window has broad pointed stone reveal with deep splays.
NE chapel has lower floor (nave and chancel floors possibly raised). Stone flag floor, later simple collar-rafter roof. Cambered-headed reveals to two N windows and E window, low cambered arch into tower (as on nave N but without capitals). Tooled stone piers and voussoirs. One corbel of a former pair low on E wall left, and C20 stone altar incorporating a big medieval chamfered altar slab. Pointed chamfered piscina recess on S wall with half-octagonal projecting bowl. Tower has blocked W and N windows and extraordinary ribbed octagonal vault. Thick chamfered stone ribs to an octagonal centre opening (for lifting bells), the surround matching the ribs. .
Fittings. Large C12 square font, chamfered at base and with a little half-round scallop at the end of each side, above the chamfer. Plain painted panelled pews, probably of 1863. Later C20 simple timber panelled pulpit. Later C19 altar rails with 2 twisted iron standards and ivy leaves. Tower had 3 bells of 1719 (not seen).
Memorials: nave S white marble plaque with urn to G. Roch of Clareston (died 1820), his wife (d 1822) and Joshua Roch (d 1827). Chancel N painted ashlar pedimented memorial to John Evans 'servant at Rickaston' (d 1759). NE chapel pained white marble early C19 plaque by H. Woolcot of Tenby to members of the Roch family of Rickeston, dates 1716 to 1753. On NE chapel S pier a small brass plaque to Thomas Cozens (d 1679). On floor in NE chapel are some broken fragments: a big ashlar fleur de lys finial, probably C19; part of an incised slab with Celtic cross; and a fine but eroded and damaged C14 female effigy with draped cloak and veil. Floor slabs in NE chapel to Martha Roch of Clareston (d 1753) and Nicholas Roch, High Sheriff, (d 1679).
Stained glass: E window to G. Harries of Rickeston (d 1897), densely patterned with Christ and lamb in centre panel, and panel in each side light with chalice to left, paten and wheat to right.
Graded II* as substantially medieval church with fine vaulted nave and porch, ribbed tower vault and other surviving medieval features.
Other nearby listed buildings