This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9135 / 51°54'48"N
Longitude: -4.9545 / 4°57'16"W
OS Eastings: 196894
OS Northings: 228006
OS Grid: SM968280
Mapcode National: GBR CL.PPQ6
Mapcode Global: VH1R1.25MG
Entry Name: Church of Saint Dogfael
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 7 August 2002
Source ID: 12011
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated S of the Afon Anghof some 150m E of Sealyham Bridge and some 400m N of St Dogwells Farm.
Community: Wolfscastle (Cas-blaidd)
Locality: St Dogwells
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Medieval parish church, the nave and S aisle restored 1878-88 by E. Lingen Barker of Hereford, and the chancel in 1872 by Ewan Christian, the restorations costing £520. Double nave plan, with parallel-roofed S aisle, the nave slightly longer at W end. Nave W wall and bellcote apparently added as there is a straight joint on the N side. The arcades to nave and chancel are probably late medieval, similar to those at Rudbaxton, although the two piers are round and one has a cable moulding. Fenton thought the tomb recess on the S side to have been for Sir Richard Symond, benefactor in C13. He also noted a gravestone with a carved cross fleury, gone before 1897.
In churchyard is an inscribed stone dated to late C6 with inscription in Roman letters and Ogham strokes. Churchyard gate dated 1870.
Parish church, rubble stone with imitation slate parallel roofs. Nave with W bellcote and chancel, S aisle with S porch. S aisle has W end eroded C19 ashlar 2-light pointed window with quatrefoil in head, hoodmould and stone voussoirs over. S side has porch to left and two small 2-light C19 flat-headed windows with plain pointed lights. S porch refronted in C19 has ashlar chamfered pointed arch, coped gable and cross finial. Reset stone over entry dated 1814. Plaque on left side to Elizabeth Evan (d 1768). Arch-braced collar trusses and segmental-arched S door within. Boarded door, possibly early C19. E coped gable and 2-light C19 window with quatrefoil in head, hoodmould and stone voussoirs. Rainwater head dated 1872 between this gable and chancel coped E gable which has similar 3-light C19 E window with ogee tracery and 3 quatrefoils. Chancel N has 1872 dated downpipe, and small C19 2-light flat-headed window with ogee tracery, set to right. Nave N has battered base to wall and two 2-light C19 windows, plain pointed lights with stone voussoirs of older, possibly early C19, pointed window above second window. Straight joint before W end, indicating that W wall and bellcote are rebuilt (pre C19) or added. W end has crude C19 stepped pointed 3-light window and gabled rubble stone bellcote with two rough pointed openings.
Attached to S aisle is iron-railed Sealyham burial enclosure, spearhead rails on low stone coping. Cast-iron urns to stanchions. Various memorials including Mary Tucker of Cledde (d 1835) and the Rev William Garnon (d 1756).
Whitewashed plastered walls with 2-bay grey stone arcade between nave and aisle, and similar 2-bay arcade between chancel and aisle, the arches hollow moulded, four-centred, late medieval, but centre thin round piers with chamfered caps and bases. Nave pier has a rope moulding below cap. Chamfered responds with plain capitals, nave E one with eroded carved head on N side, and small niche on S side of W respond. Chancel arcade has eroded stops to hollow mouldings, mostly shields, one on N side of centre pier with a diagonal cross, one to N side of E respond with shield reversed and 3-armed device. E respond has crude carving on capitals of human-faced beast. Whitewashed plastered pointed chancel arch, the sides stepped in. Segmental arched tomb recess in S aisle. C12 square scalloped font, tapered below to round shaft.
Roofs and fittings of the 1870s, arch-braced collar trusses with cusped struts above to nave, heavier arch braced trusses on corbels in chancel, plain pitch pine pews and pulpit by Lingen Barker, N facing pews in S aisle perhaps a family pew with older panelling to wall. Altar rail has 4 twisted iron standards with ornate scrollwork. Early C20 well-carved altar table reredos and panelling to Rev A. Richardson (d1911) and matching lectern, c1920, similar to work by Edwin Thomas of St Davids, some of which was designed by J. Coates Carter.
Stained glass: E window, 1906, Christ, SS Peter and John, C15 style by R. Newbery. Eroded glass of c1878 in S aisle end windows, the E window Suffer the children and Take up thy bed, by Alexander Gibbs, to T. Tucker Edwardes (d 1877); the W window, Go thou and do likewise, signed C.A. Gibbs, to Alexander Cope (d 1874).
Memorials: chancel W painted plaque to Rev J. Jenkins (d 1815) with ornate lettering, signed J. Jas. f.cu (probably J. James of Llanychaer). S aisle S wall: 1. fine Baroque memorial in carved Bath stone to John and Grace Tucker (dd 1740), draped sides, broken pediment, with shield and cherub head below. 2. J. Owen Edwardes of Treffgarne and Llanmilo, and wife Catherine Tucker, by Tyley of Bristol, sarcophagus shape with draped urn, given by Mary Tucker, 1820s. 3. Memorial with mourning female and urn to John Tucker of Trellether (d 1794), 1820s, given by Mary Tucker. 4. Sarcophagus plaque with draped urn to Mary Tucker of Cledde, Camrose (d 1835), designed as a near pair to J.O. Edwardes memorial by Tyley. 5. Mourning female to W. Tucker Edwardes (d 1858) by Gardner of Leamington. S aisle E: 1. plaque to Admiral Thomas Tucker of Hook (d 1766), given 1827, marble with urn; 2. oval plaque with draped urn of 1820s to Maria Tucker (d 1755) and Ann Tucker (d 1782); 3. plaque with similar urn of 1820s, to Thomas Tucker (d 1807), both last given by Mary Tucker. Nave N plaques to Thomas Morse and family c1855, signed T. Jones; and to Joseph Madocks of Broadmoor (d 1860) given by his landlady, Mrs Tucker of Sealyham.
Graded II* as a medieval double nave parish church with surviving late medieval arcades.
Other nearby listed buildings