This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8024 / 51°48'8"N
Longitude: -4.9672 / 4°58'1"W
OS Eastings: 195519
OS Northings: 215689
OS Grid: SM955156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XLKW
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.VYFP
Entry Name: New Bridge and four lamp standards
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12020
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated between Picton Place and Victoria Place, across the Western Cleddau river.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Road bridge over the Western Cleddau, 1833-7 by William Owen. The bridge was proposed in 1832 as part of the general improvements to the town and an act of Parliament obtained. Plans were made in 1833 for a bridge to cost £795, of which Sir R. Philipps of Picton Castle gave £500. There were financial problems and Owen put up the required money in return for a 21-year lease of the tolls. The tolls were abolished in 1878.
Road bridge, grey limestone ashlar, of three broad low elliptical arches with cut stone voussoirs, divided by flat piers over low rounded cutwaters. Frieze and rounded cornice broken forward over piers, under coped parapet with higher raised piers over main bridge piers. At each end is a larger pier carrying a later C19 cast-iron lamp standard. Each has circular iron shaft with cable work pattern towards base, plain at top; necking; bracket feet and globe glass lamp holders with framing bands of metal, and metal top vent.
Graded II* for its special architectural interest as a well-designed early C19 road bridge, part of the improvements to the town undertaken by William Owen in the 1830s.
Other nearby listed buildings