This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8016 / 51°48'5"N
Longitude: -4.9686 / 4°58'7"W
OS Eastings: 195414
OS Northings: 215609
OS Grid: SM954156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL76
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZN8
Entry Name: The Shire Hall
Listing Date: 12 October 1951
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12110
Building Class: Civil
Location: On the S side of the High Street some 25m W of its junction with Quay Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Built in 1835-7 for assize courts, to the design of William Owen of Haverfordwest. It was built on the site of a Quaker meeting-house, and formed part of the redesign of the centre of the town undertken by William Owen from 1832-40. The hall appears to have been delayed in completion, as hope was expressed that it would be finished soon in 1847. The clock was added in 1888 in memory of W. Vaughan James JP, for 100 guineas. The interior was altered in 1900-01 by Arthur Thomas, to create a council chamber. It was used as the county council offices for much of the C20, latterly as court house. Disused since 2002.
Shire Hall, painted stucco with C20 metal sheet roof cladding. Classical style two-storey, five-bay front, divided 1-3-1 bays, the centre pedimented with giant Ionic pilasters and entablature, the sides with cornice only of entablature and parapet. Modillions to cornice and pediment. Broad moulded sill band between floor, upper floor with 12-pane hornless sashes, the centre three in plain moulded architraves, the outer ones with additional plain stucco surround with consoles, frieze and pediment. Ground floor openings are all arched, three arched windows in similar architraves, and big outer doors. The windows have radiating bars in heads, the doors have large and finely-detailed radiating-bar fanlights. Double six-panel doors, each with four sandstone steps up. Basement vent under window to left of centre. Raised plinth.
Fine interior not available for inspection. There is a D-plan top-lit court room with fine neo-Grec plaster detail to a coffered barrel ceiling, and giant Ionic pilasters along the rear wall.
Grade II* as one of the most distinguished early C19 public buildings in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings