This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7996 / 51°47'58"N
Longitude: -4.9665 / 4°57'59"W
OS Eastings: 195552
OS Northings: 215385
OS Grid: SM955153
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XSW9
Mapcode Global: VH1RL.V1S6
Entry Name: Warehouse adjoining former Agricultural Co-op Warehouse
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12219
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated attached to left end of largest warehouse on the quay.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Warehouse, probably C18. Said without clear evidence to have been a meeting-house of the Society of Friends, or Quakers, and possibly also once a Customs House. For many years used as a warehouse. The Quakers met first in the Quay Street house of William Bateman, then in a warehouse on Quay Street. A meeting house is mentioned in 1729, but not its location. In 1745 they built a meeting house at the N end of Quay St, in Short Row, demolished in 1835. There was a painted board on rear wall in 1974 reading 'Gospel Meeting Room'.
Warehouse, rubble stone with corrugated iron roof. Three storeys to front, two-storey to rear to Quay St due to slope of ground. Front has chamfered angle to left. One boarded window to second floor left with thin timber lintel, two windows to first floor left and centre with C20 glazing and stone voussoirs, and ground floor door to centre (boarded over 2005) flanked by stone voussoirs of long blocked low openings. To right is a long opening, perhaps infill of former gap between this warehouse and larger one to N. Brickwork infill at top, rubble stone lower down. S gable end has door with timber lintel to left. Rear to Quay St has flight of steps up to entrance to upper floor extreme left, and three small windows to right with stone voussoirs, two blocked, one boarded.
Included for its special interest as a C18 warehouse of group value with the larger warehouse to N.
Other nearby listed buildings