This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9942 / 51°59'39"N
Longitude: -4.9752 / 4°58'30"W
OS Eastings: 195839
OS Northings: 237043
OS Grid: SM958370
Mapcode National: GBR CK.JJMG
Mapcode Global: VH1QM.Q45K
Entry Name: ,3,Main Street,Fishguard,Fishguard,DYFED,SA65 9HG
Listing Date: 30 May 1951
Last Amended: 7 January 2002
Source ID: 12303
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on the street line attached to No 5 at start of terraced row.
Community: Fishguard and Goodwick (Abergwaun ac Wdig)
Community: Fishguard and Goodwick
Built-Up Area: Fishguard
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Late C18 to early C19 town house of unusually architectural character, the facade fully rusticated and with full-height attic storey. Building shown on this site on 1844 tithe map. The house was sold in 1879 having been the house of Mr Price and then Mr James Evans, but is said to have been the Great Western Hotel from before 1878 until 1919-20, and then Walter L Williams solicitors' office. A photograph of c1906 shows a large hanging lamp on wrought iron curved brackets over entry. In use as a restaurant, Number 3 Main Street, since late C20.
House, stone rubble with front elevation of rusticated stucco, and hipped roof of imitation slates with stuccoed stack to right. Three-storey, double-fronted formal elevation, 2-12-pane sash windows each floor, larger to ground floor either side of arch-headed doorway which is slightly to left of centre. Shallow cellar light beneath each ground floor window. Eight-panelled double door with plain fanlight. All windows with rusticated voussoirs and keystones. Fine doorcase with open pediment on 3/4 Ionic columns with odd scroll volutes. Panelled reveals. Left end wall has C20 dry-dash cladding and long stair light with C20 glazing.
Entrance passage to stair hall set to left. Dogleg stair with stick balusters. Six-panel door to front left room, C19 fireplace. Dining-room has elliptical-arched sideboard recess and similar arch to hall. C19 fireplace and grate of c1900. Rear room also has reeded elliptical arch and C19 fireplace. 6-panel door with rebated corners to raised panels.
Included as a handsome late Georgian town-house, part of an important group along Main Street.
Other nearby listed buildings