This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8702 / 51°52'12"N
Longitude: -5.2823 / 5°16'56"W
OS Eastings: 174135
OS Northings: 224167
OS Grid: SM741241
Mapcode National: GBR C5.S6G2
Mapcode Global: VH0TL.D893
Plus Code: 9C3PVPC9+33
Entry Name: One of a Pair of Limekilns on Eastern Quay
Listing Date: 28 July 1992
Last Amended: 28 July 1992
Source ID: 12684
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Built into bank on quay some 80m from road bridge, on eastern side.
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Probably early C19. Pair of limekilns, one circular and complete, the other square and part demolished; restored ca1975. Two linked kilns each some 3m high, with rubble faced ramp up from N, the northern kiln circular with parapet, Dewisland-type tapering kiln-eyes; the southern kiln with kiln-eye surviving on N side and crucible exposed by collapse of front and S side. Rubble walling between kilns with steep steps up.
Date of construction uncertain, but an import of lime for burning is recorded as early as 1743. The four kilns at Porthclais were owned by C Allen 1870, but were disused by 1906.
Marked on 1840 Tithe Map.
Other nearby listed buildings