This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8702 / 51°52'12"N
Longitude: -5.2831 / 5°16'59"W
OS Eastings: 174080
OS Northings: 224169
OS Grid: SM740241
Mapcode National: GBR C5.S67H
Mapcode Global: VH0TL.C8W3
Plus Code: 9C3PVPC8+3Q
Entry Name: One of a Pair of Limekilns on Western Side of Slipway
Listing Date: 28 July 1992
Last Amended: 28 July 1992
Source ID: 12686
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Built into bank on quay at upper end of harbour at Porthclais, some 20m from road bridge.
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Date of construction uncertain, but an import of lime for burning is recorded as early as 1743. The four kilns at Porthclais were owned by C Allen in 1870, but were disused by 1906.
Probably early C19. Pair of limekilns, restored ca1975. Some 3m high, rubble stone, circular, built out from bank with stone-faced ramp up from S and N' steps in wall to N of N kiln and in rubble wall between kilns. Kilns have high kiln-eyes of Dewisland type, with tapering heads up to stone lintels. Circular crucibles with low restored parapets and paved walkways around. Between the kilns, foundations of lime-burner's hut.
Marked on 1840 Tithe Map.
Other nearby listed buildings