This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8791 / 51°52'44"N
Longitude: -5.3094 / 5°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 172319
OS Northings: 225236
OS Grid: SM723252
Mapcode National: GBR C3.RZNS
Mapcode Global: VH0TK.X1J9
Plus Code: 9C3PVMHR+J7
Entry Name: Ruins of St Justinian's Chapel
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 28 July 1992
Source ID: 12692
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the grounds of Saint Justinian's, some 60m E of house.
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Locality: Porthstinian/St Justinian's
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Early C16, ruins of chapel on supposed burial site of Saint Justinian, reputedly rebuilt by Bishop Vaughan (1509-22) but very probably including earlier work.
Chapel is reputedly the burial place of Saint Justinian, Breton contemporary of Saint David, martyred by jealous monks on Ramsey Island.
Rubble stone, roofless, walls standing some 4m high. Rectanhular plan some 12m by 5m with variuos openings robbed of their ashlar fromas. Corbel table all around, interrupted by head of E window. Early descriptions suggest battlements, gables and a small battlemented tower, all gone now. Three windows each side of varied sizes and two doors on N. W end door, E end window apparently segment-headed.
Segment-headed arcading on each side, not matching, evidence of a chancel division from rood-beams and single step up. Traces of piscina and aumbry recess in chancel and broad " end segmental-pointed blank arch. SW angle had stair.
Other nearby listed buildings