History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Terrace, Hemicycle & Archway at Warpool Court Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8762 / 51°52'34"N

Longitude: -5.27 / 5°16'12"W

OS Eastings: 175009

OS Northings: 224794

OS Grid: SM750247

Mapcode National: GBR C5.RX2G

Mapcode Global: VH0TL.L3SJ

Plus Code: 9C3PVPGH+FX

Entry Name: Garden Terrace, Hemicycle & Archway at Warpool Court Hotel

Listing Date: 28 July 1992

Last Amended: 28 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 12715

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Situated below S front of hotel.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)

Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close

Locality: St. Non's

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
St. Davids

Exterior

Circa 1870 garden terrace wall with balustrade of broad elliptical arches between piers, off-centre flight of steps, W end garden seat in hemicycle and E end large ornamental gateway.

Rubble stone with extensive decoration in moulded black brick and red flooring tiles. The piers are decorated with rusticated pilasters of curved black brick alternated with bands of red, the terrace wall is capped with red tiles and between the piers the arches of the balustrade are of red tile, rusticated and with stone in spandrels. Red tile coping. Some piers have terracotta urns. Four bays of terracing to W of steps, the fourth bay advanced. Stone steps with cast-iron panels to balustrade, urns on piers, then two further bays before return N of three short bays to gateway.

Gateway is between rubble stone piers, angled in red brick and rising higher each side to stepped caps. Between the piers, red and black brick rusticated arched gateway, red brick stepped cornice and then, against upper part of piers two quadrant curves to form reversed arch feature.

Hemicycle at W end has rubble walls with red and black brick pilasters and centre garden seat on black brick corbels and under a triple arched and open pedimented centrepiece, the arches on two corbels and outer piers.

Similar unusual features in coloured brick can be seen in the house itself, in the walled garden and on the pump-house. One garden feature is dated 1870 when the house belonged to the Rev A J M Green (and was called Pen-y-Garn).

Reasons for Listing

Group value with Warpool Court.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.