This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0682 / 52°4'5"N
Longitude: -4.7401 / 4°44'24"W
OS Eastings: 212281
OS Northings: 244633
OS Grid: SN122446
Mapcode National: GBR CW.CWD3
Mapcode Global: VH2MT.S8FW
Plus Code: 9C4Q3795+7W
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 27 October 1992
Last Amended: 27 October 1992
Source ID: 12795
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 400m E of village at crest of hill on lane running E from Moylgrove Bridge.
Community: Nevern (Nanhyfer)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Rubble stone with slate roofs, coped gables, cross finials and red terracotta ridges; ashlar plate tracery windows and ashlar W end spirelet. Nave, chancel, S transept and gabled S door. Short 2-window nave with 2 flush 2-light N windows and one similar to S, to left of slightly projecting gabled doorway. W end has recessed similar 2-light window over 1814 date plaque 'This church was built 1814 James Phillips Treriffith, churchwarden'. Spirelet is squat, ashlar with square base broached to octagonal with quatrefoils in diagonal faces. Octagonal short ashlar spire above with very small lucarnes in cardinal faces.
S transept has similar flush 2-light S window and chancel has two similar 2-light windows to S, one to N and lean-to N vestry. 3-light E window. All windows have simple cusped heads to main lancets and small quatrefoil above, varied in principal windows to cinqfoil W, quatrefoil vesica S and three quatrefoils to E.
Porch has ashlar jambs, moulded pointed ashlar arch and ashlar blank trefoil in apex. Double ledged doors with wrought iron strap hinges.
Plastered with rafter roofs, arch-braced collars with king struts. Pointed chamfered chancel arch with moulded caps. Big circa 1865 square ashlar font with roundel panels, on slate centre shaft with four ringed angle shafts. Timber 3-sided pulpit on stone base. Chancel has moulded pointed vestry door, trefoil-headed shelf on N side.
Fittings: Ashlar Gothic reredos with crocketted gabled centrepiece and cross-gabled side piers. Inlaid plaster IHS to centre panel and Greek A and O to outer lancet panels. Encaustic tile wall panels flanking. Stained glass E window to S.E.Colby (d 1867). 1866 stalls and rails.
1866 rebuilding by R.J.Withers, architect of London, of small church of 1814.
Other nearby listed buildings