This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8862 / 51°53'10"N
Longitude: -4.9229 / 4°55'22"W
OS Eastings: 198942
OS Northings: 224886
OS Grid: SM989248
Mapcode National: GBR CM.RCLF
Mapcode Global: VH1R1.MV9F
Plus Code: 9C3QV3PG+FR
Entry Name: Hook House
Listing Date: 25 March 1980
Last Amended: 21 November 2000
Source ID: 13031
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.2 km SW of Ambleston, on S side of road to Spittal.
Community: Ambleston (Treamlod)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
C18 house also known as Great Hook, on an old site, recorded as a farm in 1592. After 1700 owned by Sir John Packington Bt of Haroldston, then sold to David Meredith and then in 1747 to Admiral Thomas Tucker of Sealyham, and then part of the Sealyham estate until 1925. Admiral Tucker, who killed the pirate Blackbeard in the West Indies, died in 1766, John Tucker, his nephew, died in 1794, and his daughter married J.O. Edwardes of Little Treffgarne. William Tucker-Edwardes died in 1858. It is not certain whether the house was used as a dower house to Sealyham or rented.
The front range looks later C18, the rear range has a fireplace beam dated 1732, but the staircase was inserted when the front was added. Both front and rear range were extended N by one room in the earlier C19, the rear extension built first, and this was further extended N in 1857. The front range has a late C19 library at right angles to the N end.
Country house, whitewashed roughcast with slate roofs. stack at right, and to left on ridge before last bay of main roof. Two parallel ranges, 3-storey front range wing with 2-storey rear range incorporating the fireplace beam dated 1732, extended to N in earlier C19 and 1857.
Main front has 5-bay elevation with sixth bay at left, beyond the ridge stack. Sash windows, 6x9-pane attic windows, 5x12-pane first floor windows and just two early C19 4-12-4-pane tripartite sashes below, flanking earlier C20 2-panel door with overlight. Decayed earlier C19 tent verandah with paired posts and remnant of trellis between. Late C19 whitewashed stucco single-storey NW library wing projects from left end bay, with two triple sashes to S, W chimney and lean-to conservatory partly on W end wall. S end gable of front range is windowless, and short rear return is slate-hung.
Rear range has modern loft window in end gable above roughly slated lean-to (this containing the stone-vaulted room). Straight joint between lean-to and rubble stone rear elevation which has long 21-pane staircase window flanked to each side by a 12-pane sash each floor. Timber lintel to stair light, red brick heads with stone keystones to other windows. Square stone N stack. Long range running N is early C19 up to brick ridge chimney and of 1857 beyond. Six-pane window at mid height and window each floor to right, then straight joint, then added part has 6-pane window over 9-pane window. N end has porch at first floor level due to rise in ground. 1857 datestone exposed within. Rubble stone W front of 1857 range has 2 6-pane upper windows and 2 ground floor 9-pane windows flanking door. No windows to right of straight joint. N end of main range is gabled, partly pink-washed, early C19, with French window to ground floor and 6-pane sash above, with brick head. Backing onto N wall of library is earlier coach-house with N end double doors under depressed arch. Roof is hipped at rear. C20 roof.
Front range has centre passage with room each side. Plain rooms, N dining-room with C19 fireplace. Elliptical arch to rear stair, which has closed string, turned balusters and fluted newels. Dog-leg stair rises to attic floor, but floor levels do not tie-in well, suggesting that stair may be reused. Rear wing has room to left with timber lintel over fireplace dated 1732 and heavy joists. Similar joists also to right of stair. End right room has rough stone barrel vault with window in end wall. First floor landing has panelling and 3 doors with bolection-moulded frames, the centre narrow dressing room is also panelled. The left room has original shutters. At attic level the landing balusters are flat not turned. Oak pegged collar-trusses in rear roof, altered over stair. The front loft is floored above level of attic windows. Roof of pine trusses is covered over.
Ground floor N end room was added in early C19, French window to N, dentil cornice added in C20. Similar bedroom above. NW library addition is late C19.
Beyond 1732 fireplace, the next room has deep fireplace with C20 renewed lintel and blocked window to W, blocked presumably by N addition to front range. First floor has stepped chimney breast and pine roof trusses to this part are early C19. Service rooms beyond in 1857 range to N, former farm-labourers kitchen and larder.
Included for its special interest as a major gentry house of the Georgian period with surviving interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings