This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0811 / 52°4'51"N
Longitude: -4.679 / 4°40'44"W
OS Eastings: 216527
OS Northings: 245912
OS Grid: SN165459
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.C02F
Mapcode Global: VH2MN.VY8J
Entry Name: Y Felin
Listing Date: 15 November 1993
Last Amended: 15 November 1993
Source ID: 13096
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated some 100m ENE of the abbey ruins.
Community: St. Dogmaels (Llandudoch)
Community: St. Dogmaels
Locality: St Dogmaels
Built-Up Area: St Dogmaels
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
This is possibly the site of the medieval abbey mill. The mill was owned by the C18 by the Parry family of Noyadd Trefawr, Cardiganshire, possibly as part of the former abbey lands. Leases of 1781 and 1808, and letters of 1825 confirming rebuilding that year are in the Noyadd Trefawr papers in the National Library of Wales. Restored fully in 1981.
Early C19 flour mill, raised and altered later in C19, but possibly including earlier stonework. Rubble stone with slate roof, two storeys and loft, with continuous roof over added lean-to on N side. The gables show evidence of being raised, presumably in the later C19. Gable front to W with off-centre stable-door with painted stone voussoirs. Lean-to to left has similar ground floor door. First floor has similar door with timber lintel, to right reached by 6 slate steps off terrace in front of Mill House. Loft has later C19 casement pair with brick surround and cambered head. 5 tiers of blocked dove holes above. Blank S wall to mill-pond. Rear wall has 16 foot overshot water-wheel, the iron rim moved from Felin Isaf (Dewiston Mill), St Davids. First-floor window with single slab lintel to centre and small opening to left, over trough. Loft has brick-framed casement pair similar to front. Lean-to has straight joint suggesting that it was added even after the gable was raised, one first floor window with brick head, and N side has window and door to ground floor with timber lintels.
Full set of working machinery, all intact at restoration. Pine floor joists and beams. Loft roof has some re-used collar beams and most window lintels appear re-used. Lean-to has kiln and malting floor. Machinery said to be dated 1819.
Included at II* as one of the best surviving water mills in Dyfed.
Other nearby listed buildings