This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4619 / 51°27'42"N
Longitude: -3.447 / 3°26'49"W
OS Eastings: 299568
OS Northings: 174653
OS Grid: SS995746
Mapcode National: GBR HK.M5NH
Mapcode Global: VH6F8.6JJ4
Plus Code: 9C3RFH63+Q5
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 5 December 1963
Last Amended: 16 September 1999
Source ID: 13200
Building Class: Civil
Location: Prominently sited near the E end of High Street, with rear elevations to Town Hall Square.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian (Y Bont-faen a Llanfleiddan)
Community: Cowbridge with Llanblethian
Built-Up Area: Cowbridge
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1806-30. Built as the Glamorganshire House of Correction. When superseded by Swansea Prison 1829, the building became the Town Hall of Cowbridge, allowing demolition the old Guild Hall, in the centre of the High Street. The building incorporates some of the cells of the former gaol ; restored and enlarged in 1895 and renovated in 1974.
Two storey front wing with five bay front elevation faced with ashlar with slate hipped roof and plain eaves. Centre three bays break forward slightly with three tall semi-circular recesses enclosing round-headed windows with glazing bars, left hand flanking bay with single tall window, right hand flanking bay with sash window with radiating tracery above and below and centre bay with short sash window above central panelled doors in square-headed opening with pedimented doorcase. Each end bay with circular window with tracery to upper level above plain round-headed door opening with blocked tympanum and panelled doors.
Loftier rear block at right angles, with square ashlar clock tower with pilasters and fluted frieze to front end, the tower surmounted by a square bellcote with cupola and crowning weathervane. Front clock face with the following inscription below: "This clock was presented to the Town by/The Right Rev Edward Coplestone DD Bishop of Llandaff/1836". Late C19 lean-to wings against long elevations of this higher rear wing have elliptical arched windows (former doorways). Also, lower rear gabled cross wings the SW cross wing with an inscription relating to restoration and enlargement of 1895.
Graded II* as fine early C19 town hall on key site in conservation area.
Other nearby listed buildings