This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4816 / 51°28'53"N
Longitude: -3.3552 / 3°21'18"W
OS Eastings: 305990
OS Northings: 176718
OS Grid: ST059767
Mapcode National: GBR HP.KYKF
Mapcode Global: VH6F9.S1M1
Entry Name: Pendoylan Cottages
Listing Date: 28 October 1992
Last Amended: 18 May 1995
Source ID: 13473
Building Class: Education
Location: Row of cottages set in the slope immediately to the North of the Parish Church, faces South with footpath to the front.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Pendoylan (Pendeulwyn)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1817 as almshouses at a cost of "no more than" ú130, of which ú50 was donated by Earl Talbot of Hensol. In 1850 the cottage at the uphill (west) end, which had been used as a vestry, was demolished and replaced by the present building which served as the parish school until 1874 when the present church school was built. It then reverted to use as a dwelling.
Row of five 2-storey, 1 window wide cottages together with the attached taller 2 storey house to uphill end. Rubble construction. The five 1817 cottages have lime rendered elevations and the plan is of two reflected pairs and a single cottage to downhill end. The windows and doors are stepped down but the slate roof interestingly follows the line of the slope. Roughcast chimneys and one later brick chimney, boarded eaves. 2-light casement windows, some of which have been replaced to the first floor; boarded doors. Two lean-to outshuts at rearwhich have been rebuilt in 1995. The uphill house has freestone dressings and modern slate roof with stone chimneys.
1 window front with 4-centred arched doorway and gable over the 1st floor window, boarded door and modern casement glazing. Rear cross range.
Included for group value with the Parish Church of St. Cattwg and for the special interest of their origins as a row of early nineteenth century almshouses.
Other nearby listed buildings