History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glyntaff Round House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5984 / 51°35'54"N

Longitude: -3.3237 / 3°19'25"W

OS Eastings: 308408

OS Northings: 189672

OS Grid: ST084896

Mapcode National: GBR HR.BDPK

Mapcode Global: VH6DR.B2QZ

Entry Name: Glyntaff Round House

Listing Date: 25 May 1962

Last Amended: 26 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13492

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On a W-facing hillside overlooking the town. No 31 incorporates the northernmost tower and the wrought iron gates.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Community: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Locality: Glyntaff

Built-Up Area: Pontypridd

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Pontypridd

History

Built in 1838-9 by Dr William Price in connection with a 'Druidic museum' close to the Rocking Stone on Pontypridd Common. The 'museum' was a 4-storey round house demolished c1950.

William Price (1800-93) was a doctor, chartist and druid who performed druidical rites at the nearby rocking stone and was a conspicuous local figure dressed in white tunic, scarlet waistcoat, green trousers and fox-skin hat. He achieved a national reputation as an advocate of free love and vegetarianism and scorned orthodox religion and society. His aquittal in 1884 on charges of illegally cremating his son established the legality of cremation in British Law.

Exterior

Belongs to a group of 4.
Group: 29-32 Graig-yr-Helfa Road, Glyntaff, Pontypridd

Comprising a pair of 3-stage round towers flanking wrought iron gates and with 2-storey attached wings. Of rendered walls painted white. The towers and the attached wing on the R side have slate roofs, the wing on the L side has replaced tile roofs, all with wide boarded eaves. The towers have eaves stacks to the outer sides, the wings each have 2 ridge stacks. In the lower and middle stage the towers have 3 narrow windows with triangular heads, while the upper stage has 2 windows. The rear wings each incorporate single-fronted and then double cottages. Added lower projections are at each ends and at the rear.

Interior

The Interiors are modernised.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding extensive alterations, for its architectural interest as part of a striking group in a commanding position above the town, and for its association with Dr William Price, pioneer of the Celtic Revival of the C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.