History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6022 / 51°36'8"N

Longitude: -3.3412 / 3°20'28"W

OS Eastings: 307207

OS Northings: 190119

OS Grid: ST072901

Mapcode National: GBR HQ.B897

Mapcode Global: VH6DK.1ZHL

Entry Name: Old Market Hall

Listing Date: 17 July 1990

Last Amended: 26 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13523

Building Class: Commercial

Location: In the town centre, uphill from and W of the attached Market Chambers.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Built-Up Area: Pontypridd

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Pontypridd

History

Built in 1885 as Pontypridd's Town Hall, at a cost of £1600. The contractor was William Seaton of Pontypridd. It was superseded by the building of a new town hall in 1890 (now known as the Arcade) and became a market building.

Exterior

In a Mannerist style, of coursed rock-faced stone with freestone dressings and slate roof with glazed strips. The 3-bay front has an interrupted gable rising to a central pediment. A tall central round-headed window with keystone rises into the gable and has small-pane glazing. Flanking pilasters drop down in Mannerist style on to the labels of oval shaped windows. Round-headed doorways directly below have tooled architraves, imposts and cornices, and replaced doors and gates. Between the doorways is a blind central panel with a corbelled sill. A similar side entrance to the L beneath a gable closes the space between the Old Market Hall and the 2-storey range of shops beyond.

The Old Market Hall can also be entered by a passage from Market Street between Market Chambers and the Market Tavern Hotel. Set well back from the street it is known as the 'Reserve entrance' on the slender ironwork over the heavier cast iron gate. Above the gateway is a Dutch gable and finial, and a roundel in the gable. Flanking white-brick pilasters are corbelled out from gate hinge level.

Interior

The 9-bay roof has thin steel trusses. The floor is stone flagged and retains some early fixed timber stalls.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for architectural interest as a prominent public building retaining original character, and for group value with Market Chambers and other nearby listed items.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.