This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5002 / 51°30'0"N
Longitude: -3.1786 / 3°10'43"W
OS Eastings: 318282
OS Northings: 178580
OS Grid: ST182785
Mapcode National: GBR KJD.75
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.VKF8
Entry Name: Gateway and forecourt walls to Cathays Cemetery
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 22 October 2001
Source ID: 13682
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the main entrance to Cathays Cemetery SE of the Anglican and non-conformist chapels.
Locality: Cathays Cemetery
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1859 for Cardiff New Cemetery and designed by R.G. Thomas, architect of Newport, in collaboration with T. Waring, Borough Surveyor. Thomas also designed the chapels and Cemetery House.
A Gothic entrance portal of snecked rock-faced sandstone and lighter freestone dressings and coping. The portal has gabled buttresses, and a central wide gabled entrance flanked by narrower gabled pedestrian entrances. The central 2-centred arch has foliage capitals to an inner roll moulding in the arch, and hood with foliage stops and crocketed finial. Above the arch is a shield decorated with chevrons and under a pointed hood mould. Double iron gates have 4-way finials. The 2-centred outer arches have responds with shafts and stiff leaf capitals, and hoods with foliage stops. Above the arches are shields under pointed hoods (shield missing on the L side). The pedestrian entrances have saddleback copings. Iron gates have scrollwork above a hinged top rail and trident finials. The inner side of the portal is similar to the exterior, but has blank shields over the pedestrian gates.
Dwarf forecourt walls of concave plan curve outwards and terminate in octagonal piers with pyramidal caps (apex of cap missing on the L side) over gablets in each facet. The forecourt wall is surmounted by low iron railings.
Listed as a well-detailed entrance gateway, and for group value with the mortuary chapels and Cemetery House at the finest public cemetery in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings