This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4885 / 51°29'18"N
Longitude: -3.2709 / 3°16'15"W
OS Eastings: 311856
OS Northings: 177384
OS Grid: ST118773
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KFYZ
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.8V58
Entry Name: Boundary Walls of the Northern Enclosure containing the Esgair Moel Woollen Mill, with the Gazebo
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13896
Building Class: Domestic
Location: One of the associated structures in the gardens of St Fagans Castle and part of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Built-Up Area: St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
This enclosure is outside the 1766 boundary of the St. Fagans Castle gardens. Parts of the walls may be C18 or earlier and parts are C19 or early C20. Major repairs on the north side in the 1990s. The portion of the grounds to the north of 1766 boundary and the site of the former St. Fagan's Church was aquired as part of an exchange by the Plymouth Estate in c1870. The north-eastern corner of the walling is said to date from 1904 and the gazebo could well also date from then. These would be part of the improvements by the Windsor family when the house was used as a summer residence and are contemporary with the swimming pool within the enclosure.
Walls of limestone rubble with rough capping about 3m in height but varying. The wall runs beside the public footpath on the north and west and, on the south is coincidental with the 1766 boundary. Doorway with slightly cambered head in north-west wall. In south-west corner, to north-west of Stryd Lydan Barn, an external stone staircase with ramped balustrades leads up to a gazebo with hipped pantile roof and ball finial with stone floor and stone benches. The walls of stone rubble bounding the northern and eastern sides of the enclosure, with a break in middle of wall on eastern side are of later build.
Included as one of the structures associated with the gardens and estate of St. Fagans Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings