This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4865 / 51°29'11"N
Longitude: -3.1604 / 3°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 319525
OS Northings: 177030
OS Grid: ST195770
Mapcode National: GBR KNK.93
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.5WLV
Plus Code: 9C3RFRPQ+HR
Entry Name: Trinity Methodist Church
Listing Date: 5 June 1980
Last Amended: 31 July 1997
Source ID: 14098
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Between Four Elms Road and Piercefield Place.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1896-1897. By Ingall and Sons of Birmingham. Remodelled 1978 by Wyn Thomas & Partners (porch to Piercefield Place, horizontal internal subdivision).
Elaborate chapel in mixed Early English and Decorated styles. Snecked Pennant stone with bathstone dressings, slate roofs. Gabled entrance front facing Four Elms Road has deep 2-storey arch with stiff leaf capitals enclosing rose window; below, entrance doorway with 3 orders of shafts with stiffleaf caps; 2-light window to each side. To L, polygonal bell turret with open-work spire, trefoil windows, gargoyles. To R, elaborate tower with bathstone steeple, polygonal bellstage, turrets with pinnacles, and stepped buttresses to 2-stage porch tower, doorway to Piercefield Place. Elevation to Piercefield Place has modern vestibule and to R transept with 5-light Geometrical window; to R of this, vestry (bathstone ashlar), pinnacled buttresses, trefoil parapet, window of 3 cusped lights. Polygonal apse behind vestry.
Subdivided horizontally in 1978 remodelling; double hammerbeam roof, well-lit apse with coupled colonettes and stiff-leaf capitals. Stained glass in apse by Swaine & Co; angels representing virtues in rose window.
Listed as elaborate late C19 chapel with prominent spire on important site on approach to city centre. Group value with adjacent Elms Centre.
Other nearby listed buildings