This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4892 / 51°29'20"N
Longitude: -3.2694 / 3°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 311962
OS Northings: 177453
OS Grid: ST119774
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KGB0
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.8TYS
Entry Name: Ty-capel
Listing Date: 10 July 1989
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 14115
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Part of a group of historic buildings in the main street of St Fagans village, sited nearly opposite the entrance to St Fagans Drive.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: St Fagans
Built-Up Area: St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1837 (opened as a Calvinistic Methodist Chapel) and built on land given by Hon. R T Clive. Front rebuilt in 1900 (date plaque on front of building). The chapel was converted to a house following listing, having been empty and deteriorating at the time of inspection (April 1989).
Walling of cement render on rubble and brick with a Welsh slate roof. Symmetrical one-storey front of late classical design to an earlier, traditional plan chapel, now converted to two storeys. Impost band links narrow windows to central round-headed pair with key blocks; small pane coloured glazing. Oculi break through band over twin gabled porches with cast copings and kneelers, yellow and blue brick facings, arched doorways. Moulded plaque to centre of front inscribed '1837/Tabernacle Presbyterian/1900'. Pitched roof with tile crestings, gable-end parapets with gable kneelers over plain pilasters, brick stack to left. Two modern sashes in the gable end. Rear elevation now showing two storeys with three 6 over 6 pane sashes on the first floor, large external stack.
Interior not seen at resurvey, but the conversion to a house included the insertion of a floor and it is not known what of the interior features described at the time of listing in 1989 may survive, possibly none. 'Plain interior with moulded cornice (including egg and dart), ribbed panels to ceiling plus ribbed and boarded centre with timber rose containing paterae. Panelled pulpit front with balustered railings to stairs and enclosure to 'big seat'.'
Included as a part of the important group of historic estate buildings at the centre of St. Fagans village.
Other nearby listed buildings