This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7879 / 52°47'16"N
Longitude: -3.1074 / 3°6'26"W
OS Eastings: 325416
OS Northings: 321720
OS Grid: SJ254217
Mapcode National: GBR 71.XFP1
Mapcode Global: WH794.76K2
Entry Name: Carreghofa Hall
Listing Date: 5 April 1993
Last Amended: 5 April 1993
Source ID: 14177
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the lower slopes of Llanymynech Hill close to the River Tanat and dismantled railway line.
Community: Carreghofa (Carreghwfa)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Red brick, slate roofs hipped at south east end. Two storeys, L-plan. The wing, with cellar beneath, of early hand-made bricks, raised gable ends and projecting gable stack is probably the surviving parlour wing of a C17 house.
The C18 main body of the house has raised gables, oversailing eaves course and central brick ridge stack. A portion of stone foundations survives at the south east end and the brickwork above is much disturbed. The garden side was extended about 1917 in red brick with flat roofed eaves dormers. No main facade, the farmyard side of the C18 block shows several blocked openings with cambered brick heads. Most of the existing windows are three-light C19 mullion-transom type with iron-framed casements. Part-glazed plank rear door. C17 wing has two tall small-paned iron-framed casements on the first floor under thin timber lintels.
Barn to north east of Carreghofa Hall: Late C18 four-bay barn, the roof is carried over to join with the farmhouse to form a covered driveway into the farmyard. The lower end was converted to loose-box with loft over in C19. Stone rubble, roughly dressed stone quoins, plinth, iron roof, large double opposing doors to threshing bay. Slit ventilators (some now blocked). Lower end bay has plank door and slatted window under brick cambered heads, also slatted window to loft and tall pitching opening. Pegged king-post trusses, cambered tie-beam.
Former cowshed/storage barn to north of Carreghofa Hall: C18, red brick, crowstep gables, slate roof, two storeys, double tier of slit ventilators to loft. Much altered openings, some original cambered heads to former openings visible.
Not fully inspected; large inglenook fireplace, C18 squared beams, two-panel doors some with raised panels, moulded surrounds and tall "H"-hinges.
Although much altered Carreghofa Hall retains an early brick wing and many period features. It occupies an important historic site below the large hillfort of Llanymynech and adjacent to the Roman camp on the flood plain of the Tanat and is thought to be built over the remains of Carreghofa Castle. In the mid C17 it was the home of Sir Thomas Jones, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in the Court of Charles II.
Other nearby listed buildings