This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5444 / 52°32'40"N
Longitude: -4.0431 / 4°2'34"W
OS Eastings: 261551
OS Northings: 296027
OS Grid: SN615960
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.DWQ1
Mapcode Global: VH4DS.V9YR
Plus Code: 9C4QGXV4+QQ
Entry Name: St Peter's Church
Listing Date: 14 October 1994
Last Amended: 14 October 1994
Source ID: 14302
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Above Sea View Terrace, approximately 50m E of junction with New Street.
Community: Aberdovey (Aberdyfi)
Built-Up Area: Aberdovey
Traditional County: Merionethshire
1832, chancel added later C19.
Tower, nave, chancel in grey brown stone, dressings (especially to chancel in bathstone, slate roofs. West tower with stepped crenellations; stepped diagonal buttresses, lancets to bell stage, small trefoil windows to lower stage (small rose window to W), clock; S tower doorway. Four bays to nave, stepped buttresses, 2-light windows with wooden cusped tracery. Lower chancel with small S window, E window in Decorated Style. Vestries/organ chamber to N.
Rear churchyard wall has arched entrance with stepped castellations over.
Entrance via tower S doorway; lobby with steps to L. Aisleless nave; rendered walls, coved and ribbed plaster ceiling. Exposed stone arch to chancel (brick walls, painted over), broad stone arch to organ chamber (N), hammer beam roof to chancel. Good glass (1872) to E window in memory of Maria Jane Pugh, of Craig-y-Don, Aberdyfi.
Included as example of Pre-Victorian Gothic Revival church on prominent site. Group value
Other nearby listed buildings