This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6914 / 51°41'29"N
Longitude: -4.94 / 4°56'23"W
OS Eastings: 196895
OS Northings: 203276
OS Grid: SM968032
Mapcode National: GBR G8.CDY6
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.BR97
Entry Name: St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, including Gates and Railings to Street
Listing Date: 18 February 1994
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 14349
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back towards east end of street, between Laws and Gwyther Streets.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1865-8 Calvinistic Methodist Chapel by K W Ladd architect of Pembroke Dock. Grey squared limestone with red brick and Bath stone dressings. Concrete tile roofs. Romanesque to N Italian Gothic style with twin-towered two-storey facade raised on high basement. Gabled recessed centre with red-brick stepped corbelling under coping, large Bath stone date scroll, stepped triplet of arched windows with two-coloured heads under linked pointed hoods. Two thin attached column shafts with carved capitals. Wider centre light has 'Florentine' tracery. Red brick flush sill band carried around towers. Ground floor has paired arched doors with column shaft between, similar two-colour heads and pointed linked hoodmoulds. Plain flush arched light each side. Doors are heavily panelled with applied ironwork. Double flight of stone steps, seven from each side and broad flight of seven oversailing basement area. Towers have plain lower storey with single arched light, upper storey recessed between angle piers with long plain arched light, red-brick impost band and red-brick zig-zag band at top under red-brick eaves cornice with Bath stone brackets. Tower sides are similar. Main chapel has 5-bay sides with recessed bays between raised piers, long arched window-recesses with red-brick jambs and Bath-stone arches, stock brick between upper and lower windows. Plain rendered rear end with three arched windows.
Heavy spearhead front iron railings, with two sets of more ornate gates between stone piers with cross-gabled caps.
Broad ceiling, flat with sloping side panels, deep arch braces on corbels. Flat ceiling has boarded panels down centre. Three-sided gallery on iron columns with cast-iron trefoil-pattern pierced panels applied between pilasters. Organ by J Conacher 1896 in rear gallery. Pulpit with right-angled stairs, iron rails and timber front with inverted cone book rest. Behind pulpit is ornate 3-light stained glass window of 1882, made in London, in pilastered shallow gabled surround designed by KáMcAlpin. Two stained-flass side windows: one signed W Morris, Westminster (date of death 1916), the other dated 1937, removed from former Llanreath C M Chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings