This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9729 / 52°58'22"N
Longitude: -3.1079 / 3°6'28"W
OS Eastings: 325699
OS Northings: 342296
OS Grid: SJ256422
Mapcode National: GBR 71.JMLH
Mapcode Global: WH785.7J9S
Entry Name: U-Plan Farm Group at Trevor Hall Farm
Listing Date: 25 February 1994
Last Amended: 11 June 1998
Source ID: 14408
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated immediately downhill to east of Trevor Hall and beside main driveway; set into slope with open farmyard facing east. About 1km west of Trevor.
Locality: Trevor Isaf
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Largely early to mid C19 character but with probably later C17 origins and later C19 enlargement to E. The surviving evidence of the earlier ranges suggests a sub-medieval domestic building later converted to agricultural use, perhaps following the rebuilding of the adjacent Trevor Hall in 1742-3.
Stone-built ranges built to an asymmetrical U-plan, shorter to the S side; dressed stone quoins and voussoirs. Hipped slate roofs with slightly overhanging eaves; uphill range has four gabled, timber ridge ventilators and downhill range has two circular ridge cowls; W and downhill ranges have ridge cresting. Gable end of uphill range has distinctive circular window with dressed stone surround; this 2- window stable and hayloft block is the later C19 enlargement as indicated by the masonry break and the engineering brick voussoirs to the camber-headed ground floor openings, including the central doorway. To the left of this are further cowsheds converted from a former cartshed - see broad cambered stone-voussoired opening, the arch of which has been infilled; above this are four rows of doveboxes. The W range closing the farmyard has an unusual off-centre projecting gable with deep timber hood over the loading platform in front of the hayloft doorway; this platform appears to have been enclosed to the sides but to have had no external staircase. Also interesting is the lateral stone chimney stack which again points to former domestic usage. Inserted lean-to to right. The shorter downhill range may originally have contained accommodation for farm workers in C19 as the regular ground floor fenestration is on a scale beyond that needed for animals; both the gable end and S side have small-pane casement windows. Stepped down at E end is an added range with blocked doorway on the outer side. Rear has slit ventilators and W range has barn doors.
The western part which was probably the former farmhouse retains some broadly chamfered and tongue-stopped beams. The chimney stack has at its base on the downhill side a domestic stone-linteled fireplace, now blocked.
Included as an interesting complex of agricultural buildings having exceptional group value with Trevor Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings