History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brendon

A Grade II Listed Building in Colwyn Bay, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2934 / 53°17'36"N

Longitude: -3.7333 / 3°43'59"W

OS Eastings: 284569

OS Northings: 378788

OS Grid: SH845787

Mapcode National: GBR 2ZCC.K3

Mapcode Global: WH655.MHG1

Entry Name: Brendon

Listing Date: 25 July 1994

Last Amended: 25 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14706

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Next of Heathfield, just to the S of the junction with Combermere Road.

County: Conwy

Community: Colwyn Bay (Bae Colwyn)

Community: Colwyn Bay

Built-Up Area: Colwyn Bay

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llandrillo-yn-Rhôs

History

Built c1893 and designed by Douglas and Fordham, architects, of Chester. Alterations carried out in 1911 by Porter and Elcock, architects, of Colwyn Bay.

Exterior

Roughcast render with brick and terracotta dressings, and plain tiled roof. 2 storeys, 2 window range facing street, with entrance to rear. Advanced Dutch gable to the left, with canted 2-storeyed bay window, with mullioned and transomed lights which have ogee arches set in segmentally headed upper lights. 2 light attic window. Additional canted bay window to right, (added in the alterations of 1911 but probably re-using an existing window), with 4-light mullioned window above. Return elevation to N has tiered mullioned and transomed stair window in gable return, and shaped mullioned windows in wing beyond.

Reasons for Listing

A good example of the type of house characteristic of the development of this part of Colwyn Bay as a private residential suburb, Brendon forms a group with Heathfield.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Heathfield
    At right angles to the road, almost opposite the junction with Combermere Road.
  • II ,16,COED PELLA ROAD,Colwyn Bay,,CLWYD,
    On the lower corner of Coed Pella Road and Queen's Drive.
  • II Memorial Hall at Rydal School
    Forms two sides of courtyard on the E side of the school dining hall, and bounded by Landsdowne Road and Queen’s Drive.
  • II Tudor Lodge
    On the upper corner with Hillside Road.
  • II Hunt House at Rydal School
    Faces Old House across a courtyard and adjoins the school dining hall on the S side of the yard.
  • II Dining Hall at Rydal School
    Facing Pwllycrochan Avenue and forming the central range of the 2 courtyards which comprise the main buildings of Rydal School.
  • II Costain Buildings at Rydal School
    Forms two sides of courtyard on the E side of the school dining hall, and bounded by Landsdowne Road and Queen’s Drive.
  • II Old House, Rydal School
    Parallel to Lansdowne Road, the building forms the N range of 2 quadrangles to either side of the school dining hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.