This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2899 / 53°17'23"N
Longitude: -3.7025 / 3°42'8"W
OS Eastings: 286612
OS Northings: 378347
OS Grid: SH866783
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZLD.7C
Mapcode Global: WH656.3K6Q
Plus Code: 9C5R77QX+X2
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 9 September 1994
Last Amended: 9 September 1994
Source ID: 14844
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the corner with Church Walks.
Community: Old Colwyn (Hen Golwyn)
Community: Old Colwyn
Built-Up Area: Colwyn Bay
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The church was built in 1837 as a chapel of ease to Llandrillo, and became a parish church when the parish of Colwyn was created in 1844. The building was twice restored later in the C19, and the internal fittings probably largely date from these restorations, c1871 and c1892.
Very roughly coursed and squared local limestone, roughcast render to chanvcel, slate roofs. West tower, aisle-less nave and chancel, with vestry addition to S. 2-stage W tower with wide lancet window to W, and chamfered arched doorway to S; simple plain chamfered lights to bell chamber, and clodk on N face. Stepped embattled parapet with plain pinnacles at angles. Nave has coped gabled and buttressed porch with plain chamfered arch towards NW. Intersecting tracery to 2-light window, with a broad lancet to NE of nave, and N of chancel. 4-light E window with intersecting tracery.
Simple nave and chancel: nave articulated as 5 bays by the principal arched braced collar trusses of its roof, though with only 2 windows in each side. These windows, together with the chancel N window, have emblematic staned glass using floral and foliage motifs on geometric forms: they form a series, and are signed and dated, Cox, Sons, Buckley and Co., 1886. Low stone screen divides the chancel from the nave. Encaustic tiled floor to sanctuary. Painted stencilled text surrounds the chancel arch and the arch to organ chamber to S. The chancel N and S walls are also covered with stencilled decoration, and to either side of the E window, painted metal panels illustrate biblical themes. Stained glass in E window (the crucifixion with Saints Catherine and Asaph), dated 1892 (and replacing an earlier window of 1844 by Clutterbuck).
Interesting as an example of a C19 Gothic church which pre-dates the Puginian Gothic Revival.
Other nearby listed buildings